From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote
>>>
>>> Ummm, Debug.Print TypeName(obj)
>>
>> Now that is useful information. <g>
>
> Except that the returned string is "Inet", ...Surprise!

Actually, it returns "Nothing", which was kinda the point. <eg>

> With an Inet control on your form, type in "Inet1.object" and
> press F1 for more info about the object property....

Yeah, Debug.Print TypeName(Inet1.Object) will indeed return "Inet",
which makes the assignment all the more, uh, "interesting."

The thing to remember is Object isn't really a property of the object,
but an Extender property to get at the object in cases where its
properties conflict with other Extender properties. I don't think it
was ever intended to be used in the fashion suggested by this MSDN
article, but I can't actually articulate why. I suspect it's missing
some sort of interface? <shrug>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Webbiz on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:38:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Larry Serflaten wrote:
>> "Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote

>>> Now that is useful information. <g>
>>
>> Except that the returned string is "Inet", ...Surprise!
>
>Actually, it returns "Nothing", which was kinda the point. <eg>
>
>> With an Inet control on your form, type in "Inet1.object" and
>> press F1 for more info about the object property....
>
>Yeah, Debug.Print TypeName(Inet1.Object) will indeed return "Inet",
>which makes the assignment all the more, uh, "interesting."
>
>The thing to remember is Object isn't really a property of the object,
>but an Extender property to get at the object in cases where its
>properties conflict with other Extender properties. I don't think it
>was ever intended to be used in the fashion suggested by this MSDN
>article, but I can't actually articulate why. I suspect it's missing
>some sort of interface? <shrug>

Now that it's clear that the MSDN article has mislead me down the
wrong path, what is the correct assignment?

I'm probably going to go the API route anyway. The problem still
exists. It takes so much time to read a fat book like VB Web
Programming and much of the stuff seems a bit outdated (talk of IE5
being the lastest browser, etc. was kind of a giveaway there).

:-)

Webbiz
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:38:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Larry Serflaten wrote:
>>> "Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote

>>> Except that the returned string is "Inet", ...Surprise!
>>
>> Actually, it returns "Nothing", which was kinda the point. <eg>
>>
>>> With an Inet control on your form, type in "Inet1.object" and
>>> press F1 for more info about the object property....
>>
>> Yeah, Debug.Print TypeName(Inet1.Object) will indeed return "Inet",
>> which makes the assignment all the more, uh, "interesting."
>>
>> The thing to remember is Object isn't really a property of the object,
>> but an Extender property to get at the object in cases where its
>> properties conflict with other Extender properties. I don't think it
>> was ever intended to be used in the fashion suggested by this MSDN
>> article, but I can't actually articulate why. I suspect it's missing
>> some sort of interface? <shrug>
>
> Now that it's clear that the MSDN article has mislead me down the
> wrong path, what is the correct assignment?

Wow, I posted that yesterday.

> I'm probably going to go the API route anyway. The problem still
> exists. It takes so much time to read a fat book like VB Web
> Programming and much of the stuff seems a bit outdated (talk of IE5
> being the lastest browser, etc. was kind of a giveaway there).
>
> :-)

Screw the book. Just roll up your sleeves, and become one with the F8
key.

Sounds like you didn't see this?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Nobody on
"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
> I'm probably going to go the API route anyway. The problem still
> exists. It takes so much time to read a fat book like VB Web
> Programming and much of the stuff seems a bit outdated (talk of IE5
> being the lastest browser, etc. was kind of a giveaway there).

Try this sample:

SAMPLE: VBFTP.EXE: Implementing FTP Using WinInet API from VB

Here is another one:

SAMPLE: Using FTP WinInet APIs in Visual Basic with SimpleFtp

And for HTTP:

SAMPLE: Vbhttp.exe Demonstrates How to Use HTTP WinInet APIs in Visual Basic
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259100

From: Webbiz on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:06:57 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
wrote:

>"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
>> I'm probably going to go the API route anyway. The problem still
>> exists. It takes so much time to read a fat book like VB Web
>> Programming and much of the stuff seems a bit outdated (talk of IE5
>> being the lastest browser, etc. was kind of a giveaway there).
>
>Try this sample:
>
>SAMPLE: VBFTP.EXE: Implementing FTP Using WinInet API from VB
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175179/EN-US/
>
>Here is another one:
>
>SAMPLE: Using FTP WinInet APIs in Visual Basic with SimpleFtp
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195653/EN-US/
>
>And for HTTP:
>
>SAMPLE: Vbhttp.exe Demonstrates How to Use HTTP WinInet APIs in Visual Basic
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259100

Thanks amigo. :-)

Webbiz