From: Fran on
Can anyone suggest an apt codec (and where to download it), to play
back .mod files created on a camcorder in windows moviemaker, media
player or similar? Is there something quick and easy to render it to
MPEG?

It's for one of my Y10 students.

Thanks in advance.

Fran

From: Jeßus on
Fran wrote:
> Can anyone suggest an apt codec (and where to download it), to play
> back .mod files created on a camcorder in windows moviemaker, media
> player or similar? Is there something quick and easy to render it to
> MPEG?
>
> It's for one of my Y10 students.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I had a quick look around as I'm sure
others would have this problem.
Anyway, have a read of this and see if it works for you:

"Tips for viewing .MOD files on computer
I've seen quite a few posts about poor video quality on the computer and
not being able to hear the audio. Here are some tips to make sure your
videos look, and sound, just as good on your computer as they do on DVD.

As most of you know, the .MOD files are actually mpeg 2 video. To play
the videos, you really need to rename the .MOD extension to .MPG so your
computer can understand what it is. Renaming is also necessary because
the camera starts back at MOV001.MOD when videos are erased. I use this
handy, and free, renaming utility so I can rename many files at once."

More at: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t124055.html

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free - Goethe
From: Jeßus on
Nighthawk wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:02:16 +1000, Je�us <none(a)all.org> wrote:
>
>> Fran wrote:
>>> Can anyone suggest an apt codec (and where to download it), to play
>>> back .mod files created on a camcorder in windows moviemaker, media
>>> player or similar? Is there something quick and easy to render it to
>>> MPEG?
>>>
>>> It's for one of my Y10 students.
>> Curiosity got the better of me, so I had a quick look around as I'm sure
>> others would have this problem.
>> Anyway, have a read of this and see if it works for you:
>>
>> "Tips for viewing .MOD files on computer
>> I've seen quite a few posts about poor video quality on the computer and
>> not being able to hear the audio. Here are some tips to make sure your
>> videos look, and sound, just as good on your computer as they do on DVD.
>>
>> As most of you know, the .MOD files are actually mpeg 2 video. To play
>> the videos, you really need to rename the .MOD extension to .MPG so your
>> computer can understand what it is. Renaming is also necessary because
>> the camera starts back at MOV001.MOD when videos are erased. I use this
>> handy, and free, renaming utility so I can rename many files at once."
>>
>> More at: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t124055.html
>
> Confusingly .mod files are also small music files unrelated to MPG.

Yes I noticed that, seems to be associated with the old Amiga systems.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:20:07 -0700, Fran <Fran.Beta(a)gmail.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Can anyone suggest an apt codec (and where to download it), to play
>back .mod files created on a camcorder in windows moviemaker, media
>player or similar? Is there something quick and easy to render it to
>MPEG?
>
>It's for one of my Y10 students.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Fran

This may be of interest in those cases where the aspect ratio is
wrong:
http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=99a98e1f79faebb2e2f476c844e26ccc&topic=219.msg1010

For anyone who is curious, here is a collection of .mod (movie data?)
and .moi (movie index?) files:
http://simatra.lt/foto/kelione%20i%20italija/giedrius/sd_video/

Here is an example:
http://simatra.lt/foto/kelione%20i%20italija/giedrius/sd_video/prg007/mov003.mod

Windows Media Player Classic (6.4.9.0) plays the above file without
renaming the extension.

The file properties are:

Video: MPEG2 Video 704x576 (4:3) 25.00fps 9558Kbps [Video]
Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps [Audio]
Subtitle: DVD Subpicture [Subtitle]

The first four header bytes are 00 00 01 BA.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Fran on
On Sep 6, 4:02 pm, Jeßus <n...(a)all.org> wrote:
> Franwrote:
> > Can anyone suggest an apt codec (and where to download it), to play
> > back .mod files created on a camcorder in windows moviemaker, media
> > player or similar? Is there something quick and easy to render it to
> > MPEG?
>
> > It's for one of my Y10 students.
>
> Curiosity got the better of me, so I had a quick look around as I'm sure
> others would have this problem.
> Anyway, have a read of this and see if it works for you:
>
> "Tips for viewing .MOD files on computer
> I've seen quite a few posts about poor video quality on the computer and
> not being able to hear the audio. Here are some tips to make sure your
> videos look, and sound, just as good on your computer as they do on DVD.
>
> As most of you know, the .MOD files are actually mpeg 2 video. To play
> the videos, you really need to rename the .MOD extension to .MPG so your
> computer can understand what it is. Renaming is also necessary because
> the camera starts back at MOV001.MOD when videos are erased. I use this
> handy, and free, renaming utility so I can rename many files at once."
>
> More at:http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t124055.html
>
> --
> None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
> are free - Goethe

Thanks to you and the others, but this work around doesn't seem to
have remedied the problem. Any other ideas?

Fran