From: Cguides on
I am running Windows XP Home on one WD 160Gb physical hard drive
partitioned into 2 logical drives named c and d. On a second WD 320Gb
physical hard drive partitioned into 2 logical drives named e and f I
am running Windows Vista Home Premium. When in XP, if I click on a
folder in f drive it gives me the error message "This drive is not
formatted. Do you want to format it now?" I can't boot into Vista at
all. Also XP is suddenly running extremely slowly, taking ages to
register a click, though since I disconnected power to the Vista hard
drive this has stopped. This all happened suddenly for no reason. I
haven't installed any new programs or hardware and have thoroughly
checked for both viruses and spyware. I even scanned it in safe mode.
SMART says both drives are healthy and the problem one is only about 1
year old, if that. I tried running chkdsk on f through the command
line but it couldn't get past 23% finished. C and d passed it OK with
no bad sectors. Prior to this, both Vista and XP were running fine
together for several months.
The computer says c and d are using the NTFS file system, but is
registering no file system for e and f. When I googled this error,
people with the same problem were told they had lost their file system
which meant the hard drive was useless and not worth trying to fix. Is
this true or can I still save the information on it? Right now when I
checked it again, I can't even open the drive enough to see the
folders. It says the drive has 0 bytes free out of a total 0 bytes.
I really would like to save it if I can, at least long enough to
rescue my data. Any help would be appreciated.

From: Swampfox on

"Cguides" <cyberguides(a)aanet.com.au> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Home on one WD 160Gb physical
>hard drive
> partitioned into 2 logical drives named c and d. On
> a second WD 320Gb
> physical hard drive partitioned into 2 logical
> drives named e and f I
> am running Windows Vista Home Premium. When in XP,
> if I click on a
> folder in f drive it gives me the error message
> "This drive is not
> formatted. Do you want to format it now?" I can't
> boot into Vista at
> all. Also XP is suddenly running extremely slowly,
> taking ages to
> register a click, though since I disconnected power
> to the Vista hard
> drive this has stopped. This all happened suddenly
> for no reason. I
> haven't installed any new programs or hardware and
> have thoroughly
> checked for both viruses and spyware. I even scanned
> it in safe mode.
> SMART says both drives are healthy and the problem
> one is only about 1
> year old, if that. I tried running chkdsk on f
> through the command
> line but it couldn't get past 23% finished. C and d
> passed it OK with
> no bad sectors. Prior to this, both Vista and XP
> were running fine
> together for several months.
> The computer says c and d are using the NTFS file
> system, but is
> registering no file system for e and f. When I
> googled this error,
> people with the same problem were told they had lost
> their file system
> which meant the hard drive was useless and not worth
> trying to fix. Is
> this true or can I still save the information on it?
> Right now when I
> checked it again, I can't even open the drive enough
> to see the
> folders. It says the drive has 0 bytes free out of a
> total 0 bytes.
> I really would like to save it if I can, at least
> long enough to
> rescue my data. Any help would be appreciated.

Try repairing the install with Knoppix.
Google "repair XP knoppix", plenty of links.

From: Cguides on
> Try repairing the install with Knoppix.
> Google "repair XP knoppix", plenty of links.

The XP install is fine. The problem is with the Vista hard drive.
From: Swampfox on

>> Try repairing the install with Knoppix.
>> Google "repair XP knoppix", plenty of links.
>
> The XP install is fine. The problem is with the
> Vista hard drive.

Sorry, my mistake.
Knoppix may still be able to mount the drive so that
you can move the data from it.

From: Cguides on
On Nov 25, 12:34 pm, "Swampfox" <noidea(a)whocaresanyway> wrote:
> "Cguides" <cybergui...(a)aanet.com.au> wrote in message

> >> Try repairing the install with Knoppix.
> >> Google "repair XP knoppix", plenty of links.
>
> > The XP install is fine. The problem is with the
> > Vista hard drive.
>
> Sorry, my mistake.
> Knoppix may still be able to mount the drive so that
> you can move the data from it.

Do you know if it will be able to with a missing file system? That's
what needs fixing as I have tried PC Inspector File Recovery and that
couldn't access the drive, it just froze.