From: Swampfox on

"Cguides" <cyberguides(a)aanet.com.au> wrote in message
> On Nov 25, 12:34 pm, "Swampfox"
> <noidea(a)whocaresanyway> wrote:
>> "Cguides" <cybergui...(a)aanet.com.au> wrote in
>> message

>> > The XP install is fine. The problem is with the
>> > Vista hard drive.
>>
>> Sorry, my mistake.
>> Knoppix may still be able to mount the drive so
>> that
>> you can move the data from it.
>
> Do you know if it will be able to with a missing
> file system? That's
> what needs fixing as I have tried PC Inspector File
> Recovery and that
> couldn't access the drive, it just froze.

I don't know, I've never used Vista, but I've
recovered several unreadable XP disks using Knoppix.
Nothing to lose anyway except the Knoppix download and
your time.

From: Cguides on

> > Do you know if it will be able to with a missing
> > file system? That's
> > what needs fixing as I have tried PC Inspector File
> > Recovery and that
> > couldn't access the drive, it just froze.
>
> I don't know, I've never used Vista, but I've
> recovered several unreadable XP disks using Knoppix.
> Nothing to lose anyway except the Knoppix download and
> your time.

Tried it with Knoppix last night, but no luck. It can't mount a drive
that has no file system. I've never really tried Linux before, but
that does look like an interesting OS. I might explore it some more.
Thanks for trying to help, Swampfox.
From: Rod Speed on
Cguides <cyberguides(a)aanet.com.au> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:34 pm, "Swampfox" <noidea(a)whocaresanyway> wrote:
>> "Cguides" <cybergui...(a)aanet.com.au> wrote in message

>>> The XP install is fine. The problem is with the
>>> Vista hard drive.
>>
>> Sorry, my mistake.
>> Knoppix may still be able to mount the drive so that
>> you can move the data from it.
>
> Do you know if it will be able to with a missing file system?

Its possible, depending on how bad the drive is.

NTFS gives up pretty easily when the drive is corrupt and
knoppix isnt as picky and can allow you to get some of the
data back when NTFS has given up on the drive.

From: Swampfox on

>> > Do you know if it will be able to with a missing
>> > file system? That's
>> > what needs fixing as I have tried PC Inspector
>> > File
>> > Recovery and that
>> > couldn't access the drive, it just froze.
>>
>> I don't know, I've never used Vista, but I've
>> recovered several unreadable XP disks using
>> Knoppix.
>> Nothing to lose anyway except the Knoppix download
>> and
>> your time.
>
> Tried it with Knoppix last night, but no luck. It
> can't mount a drive
> that has no file system. I've never really tried
> Linux before, but
> that does look like an interesting OS. I might
> explore it some more.
> Thanks for trying to help, Swampfox.

As I said I'm not conversant with Vista, but Knoppix
has a command to repair the file structure of XP
disks, normally NTFS partitions.
Last time I used it it could read NTFS but not write,
still OK for grabbing your data, and maybe the later
distros can write as well.
Maybe the command will work with Vista but I'm not
sure.
It's something like "fixntfs" or "fixxp", but I can't
recall at the moment, google should work.

From: Cguides on
On Nov 26, 3:45 pm, "Swampfox" <noidea(a)whocaresanyway> wrote:

> As I said I'm not conversant with Vista, but Knoppix
> has a command to repair the file structure of XP
> disks, normally NTFS partitions.
> Last time I used it it could read NTFS but not write,
> still OK for grabbing your data, and maybe the later
> distros can write as well.
> Maybe the command will work with Vista but I'm not
> sure.
> It's something like "fixntfs" or "fixxp", but I can't
> recall at the moment, google should work.

I have a bootable non-installing Knoppix 5.1 DVD from the cover of the
March APC magazine. I can't find fixntfs anywhere in it. When I
googled it I found other forums and blogs where people advised others
to use it, but was unable to find out HOW to use it. Can you tell me
how?