From: Jim on

"James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would I determine which one is which?
> If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me to go
> by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in question?
>
> James

>> From: "James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com>
>>
>> | Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
>> | James
>>
>> You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with
>> an "I" not a "L")
>> then you are most likely infected with malware !
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious name.

Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l. And
surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L. In
fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you are in a hurry.

Jim

Jim

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Jim" <j.n(a)invalid.invalid>

| The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
| explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious name.

| Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l. And
| surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L. In
| fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you are in a hurry.

| Jim

Uppercase and lowercase filenames are the same as the MS Windows OS' does not
differentiate filenames by their case.
LL.TXT = ll.txt = LL.txt = Ll.TxT, etc.

This is unlike the 'Nix type operating systems where the file; LL.TXT <> ll.txt <> LL.txt
<> Ll.TxT, etc.

The reason a malware author chooses the name ISASS.EXE is for the very nature of what is
happening in this thread -- confusion.

Malware authors obfuscate their malicious intent by naming files close to the name of
legitimate files such that they appear to be legitimate files by the use of a font that
makes differentiating certain characters difficult. I <> l <> 1

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would I determine which one is which?
> If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me
> to go by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in
> question?

Copy/paste (the name) into notepad and then Iook at it in a different
font.

From: James on
Jim
Yes I can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l.
And yes I can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L.

In your next line " In fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you
are in a hurry."
So I copied and pasted the two letters in question, here they are ( l , I )
How can you tell the difference between the two letters?
They look exactly the same to me.

James

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
Use a different font.

For instance, "View - text size - fixed" from the dropdown menu when
viewing an article will give you a fixed width font (with serifs).

> Jim
> Yes I can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l.
> And yes I can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L.
>
> In your next line " In fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I
> if you are in a hurry."
> So I copied and pasted the two letters in question, here they are ( l
> , I )
> How can you tell the difference between the two letters?
> They look exactly the same to me.
>
> James
>

> "Jim" <j.n(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How would I determine which one is which?
>>> If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me
>>> to go by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in
>>> question?
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

>> The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
>> explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious
>> name.
>>
>> Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase
>> l. And surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and
>> uppercase L. In fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you
>> are in a hurry.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Jim

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last