From: James on
Hello NG,

Last week I had a power outage when I was using my desktop,
and when I tried to restart my computer I kept getting error messages
that Windows had encounters a problem and was shutting down to protect my
system.

After a couple of attempts to reboot I got an error message saying something
about my password not being correct, it apparently is a corrupted isass.exe
file.

This is an HP desktop and the setup disks are on a D:\ partition,
so during one of my attempts to reboot I selected the recovery console and
tried to recover that way, still no luck.
I do have a set of early XP disks from when I bought a laptop several years
ago, so I tried to reinstall from the disks.

I tried to reinstall and I tried to repair, both give me the same error
saying that my isass.exe.
I have tried to create a bootable DVD and boot from my DVD Drive,
all I get is a continuous loop of error messages saying that XP has
encountered an error and is shutting down or sends me back to the initial
boot screen.

When I bought this computer I never put in a password, since it is at home I
didn't feel the need.
How can a password file become corrupted when I never used a password.
I have also tried just hitting enter (blank password) and that gives me the
same error.
I have tried every password I might have ever used thinking I might have
forgotten, no luck.

Thanks
James

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com>

| Hello NG,

| Last week I had a power outage when I was using my desktop,
| and when I tried to restart my computer I kept getting error messages
| that Windows had encounters a problem and was shutting down to protect my
| system.

| After a couple of attempts to reboot I got an error message saying something
| about my password not being correct, it apparently is a corrupted isass.exe
| file.

| This is an HP desktop and the setup disks are on a D:\ partition,
| so during one of my attempts to reboot I selected the recovery console and
| tried to recover that way, still no luck.
| I do have a set of early XP disks from when I bought a laptop several years
| ago, so I tried to reinstall from the disks.

| I tried to reinstall and I tried to repair, both give me the same error
| saying that my isass.exe.
| I have tried to create a bootable DVD and boot from my DVD Drive,
| all I get is a continuous loop of error messages saying that XP has
| encountered an error and is shutting down or sends me back to the initial
| boot screen.

| When I bought this computer I never put in a password, since it is at home I
| didn't feel the need.
| How can a password file become corrupted when I never used a password.
| I have also tried just hitting enter (blank password) and that gives me the
| same error.
| I have tried every password I might have ever used thinking I might have
| forgotten, no luck.

| Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks
| James

ISASS.EXE -- isass.exe

or

LSASS.EXE -- lsass.exe

There IS a difference !

--
Dave

From: James on
Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
James

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com>

| Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
| James

You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with an "I" not a "L")
then you are most likely infected with malware !

--
Dave

From: James on
How would I determine which one is which?
If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me to go
by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in question?

James

> From: "James" <tvwatchr(a)hotmail.com>
>
> | Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
> | James
>
> You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with
> an "I" not a "L")
> then you are most likely infected with malware !
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>

 |  Next  |  Last