From: Pete Dashwood on
SkippyPB wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:39:37 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> SkippyPB wrote:

>>> As a kid I wasn't into Shakespeare so much but I did read everything
>>> Edgar Allen Poe wrote and I read a lot of non-Tarzan books that
>>> Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote as well. I also, at age 10 or 11, read
>>> the original Mary Shelley book Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's
>>> Dracula. Both had what I can only describe as a rich language. I
>>> admit I had strange reading habits as a kid. No idea where they
>>> came from. I also was into reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's
>>> Sherlock Holmes' books and a lot of science fiction by the authors
>>> of the day.
>>
>> Yep, all great stuff and I did the same at around the same age.
>>
>> I wonder if what we read at an early age can shape us?
>>
>> I guess it can if we agree with it or are delighted by it. Or maybe
>> the rich world of fiction is just a good escape for people at any
>> age.
>>
>> I'd like to think any flaws in my current character were not the
>> result of reading the authors you mention... :-)
>>
>> Of course, if I can blame my faults on Poe or Shakespeare, that
>> would be a really good cop out... :-)
>>
>> Pete.
>
> Well Mr. Poe was an Opium addict :) Nevermore, nevermore.

I never heard of that. He certainly was adicted to alcohol and on ONE
occasion tried to suicide from an overdose of Laudunum (an opiate commonly
used in Victorian times for sleeping problems)... sure you're not thinking
of Samuel Taylor Coleridge? Xanadu is definitely tripping and there are
parts of the Ancient Mariner which look like they were influenced by
substance abuse...

"The very deeps did rot
Oh, Christ! That ever this should be
Yea... slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea."

Pete

From: Pete Dashwood on
Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>> Alistair wrote:
>>>>
>>> I can't resist:
>>>
>>> 2 B / not 2 B?
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> I guess it is only a matterof time before someone with more time on
>> their hands than they should have, produces a TXT version of the
>> works of Shakespeare.
>
> If it hasn't happened already. It'd be less work than the Lolcat
> Bible,[1] after all, especially since it can be almost entirely
> automated.
>
> There have long been filters for translating English prose to (and
> sometimes from) various dialects, such as B1FF. I have a Thunderbird
> extension installed that will encode/decode 1337-speak, etc. (I
> installed it for Rot-13 and other marginally more useful things.)
>

> [1] http://lolcatbible.com/

Sad to say Michael, none of the above made any sense to me and I never heard
of any of the references, bar Thunderbird. I'm obviously leading a deprived
life... :-)

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
john(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
> [...]
>> interface that lets you drag and drop fields, control breaks,
>> literals, and
>> totals wherever you want them, instead of the tedium of counting
>> fillers in
>> a printline. Instead of the corporate data asset being locked up
>> behind the
>> mysterious veil of COBOL programming, it is open and available to
>> anyone
>> authorised to access it.
>>
>>> If some proprietary
>>> extensions for reading/writing to gui's are necessary then isolate
>>> them as a subprogram or copy files.
>>
>> Bob Wolfe has already responded to this, and his company's products
>> are
>> excellent.
>>
>> There are many excellent products you can bolt on to COBOL to
>> enhance its
>> usefulness, but it remains COBOL.
>>
>> There is a very large question mark over its long term future. Like
>> I said
>> before, it simply costs too much and it isn't capable enough,
>> compared to
>> other products that are now available.
>>
>> I am strongly committed to NOT throwing COBOL away and am offering
>> solutions
>> that can extend the life of useful code, but I have no illusions
>> that there
>> will be a long term viability for it. (please
>> visit:http://primacomputing.co.nz/cobol21)
>>
>> Long term, the goal has to be to move to a world of Objects and
>> Layers,
>> where your existing COBOL code can work with other objects written
>> in other
>> languages on the desktop and (increasingly) the web.
>>
>> Object Orientation can do this easily and seamlessly; Procedural
>> code can't. (Fortunately, it is possible to "wrap" existng
>> procedural code so that it
>> can. This is a viable way to bring existing code into the "New
>> Technology".)
>>
>>> Writing to COBOL 85 means never having to say "it won't run on my
>>> new company's compiler."
>>
>> Assuming the new company HAS a compiler.
>>
>>> COBOL should be
>>> portable, readable, modifiable by any skilled COBOL programmer and
>>> suitable for solving business problems.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> New languages are portable, readable, modifiable by even a moderately
>> skilled programmer and have thousands of prewritten components that
>> immediately solve business problems. Not only that, but most of them
>> are
>> FREE.
>>
>> You can't say that about COBOL.
>>

>>> As a fellow who once shook hands with Grace Murray Hopper I say:
>>> "Don't try to rewrite Shakespeare
>>> in Esperanto."
>>
>> Sure. But don't try and rewrite Shakespeare in English, either.
>>
>> Pete.
>>
>> --
>> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."
>
> Cobol is free. Fujitsu offers a free compiler.

It is a student edition that does not support SQL or a number of other
thngs.

If you go to Fujitsu, (currently, Alchemy in the US) and ask for a COBOL
compiler they will sell you "NetCOBOL for .NET which generates CLR code for
the .Net environment. You will pay thousands of dollars for it, and the same
again for ongoing maintenance. It is far from FREE. You can download C# and
start generating CLR code for the .Net environment, including SQL and some
additional functions that are C# specific like Linq, for absolutely zippo,
free, gratis, and for nothing.

>Open Cobol runs on
> Linux and with some fuss and feathers under MSWindows.

Yes, Open COBOL is shaping up to be a viable COBOL and there are already a
few tentative commercial applications using it. But it doesn't support OO
and cannot be taken seriously for MODERN development unless it does.

> Ditto for Tiny
> Cobol. So that argument does not hold water.

OK. There ARE some versions of COBOL that are free. They are not currently
in widespread commercial use.

> John Culleton
> COBOL since 1968

Pete Dashwood
COBOL since 1967

From: Pete Dashwood on
James J. Gavan wrote:
> john(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
>>
>> Cobol is free. Fujitsu offers a free compiler. Open Cobol runs on
>> Linux and with some fuss and feathers under MSWindows. Ditto for Tiny
>> Cobol. So that argument does not hold water.
>>
>> John Culleton
>> COBOL since 1968
>>
> By and large COBOL is NOT free. IBM - how much for a compiler; are
> there on-going costs ? Unisys - same questions. (Not being in the
> mainframe world I just don't know the answers).
>
> Yes there is/was a free version of Fujitsu, but I don't think it is
> the one Pete Dashwood and others are actually using today ?

Can't speak for others Jimmy, but I am (occassionally) using Version 6, the
last one I bought and registered. The FREE one is version 3, but I can't
imagine anyone seriously using that as the basis for a commercial business.
I believe the current version is V10 but I dropped off this particular
treadmill and stopped paying maintenance when I realised there was very
little functional difference between V6 and v5 and between v5 and v4, and
the support that this payment was supposed to entitle me to was so bad it
wasn't worth paying for. It was shortly after that that I moved to C# and
the whole thing became academic.

> [...]
> adding features which are not yet part of the given 'Auto Industry
> Self-Imposed Features'. So taking a hypothetical, my brand new car
> has the following - which according to you I should ignore :-
>
> - I can run on gasoline, ethanol, natural gas or electricity
> - light features, that in an emergency would light up a football field
> - rare, but like Agent 007 - I can take it submarining
>
> So because the 'others' don't as yet have these features, I should not
> use them on the spanking new car I just bought ?
>
> In technology there is, and has to be progression, to meet consumer
> needs. Like Michael Jackson wanted to be a cryogenic you are
> recommending that we only use something (COBOL 85) which was defined
> THIRTY-FIVE YEARS ago. Well of course you will counter, use other
> stuff, perhaps Java, direct calls to Windoes APIs. Somehow, even
> though you spoke to her once, I don't think our Gracie would agree.
>
> I doubt she mentioned to you, some of the early machinations in
> COBOL's inception. One company, (a clue, the word 'Blue' fits), for
> whatever reason, wanted a specific feature made 'Confidential'.
> Gracie didn't like that and along with a buddy 'suggested' to the
> Canadian representative that he should 'accidentally' publish the
> feature - it happened - 'Confidentiality' was gonzo !. No, I didn't
> dream that up - I got an e-mail from her 'buddy'.
>
> The other thing you should remember is that neither Java nor C# have
> either ANSI or ISO imprimaturs. (Sun gave up on getting Java ISO-
> approved after they saw the BS that was involved). So far as we are
> concerned we have individual compiler vendors putting in their two
> cents, initially via ANSI (J4 now PL22.4), and then going through the
> rigmarole of ISO. Remember our compiler vendors are COMPETITORS for
> the same product. Observing the players at the J4 June/July 2000
> meeting at Newbury, I asked the question, "How do the Micro Focus and
> IBM representatives get on". Back came the answer, "They get on very
> well socially, but remember they are representing competitors".
>
> I sure can't prove it, but looking at some of the features,
> (extensions to you), which M/F introduced, I just wonder why they
> never became part of COBOL. As Bill Klein once pointed out, having
> seen a feature which looked like it had solid approval, M/F
> introduced it, only to find that J4 dickered with it after the event,
> possibly making the M/F approach invalid.
>
> Pure conjecture on my part - J4 saw the necessity for changing
> something already established, or what M/F suggested as a new feature
> just wasn't worth the effort - OR - just pure Competitor human
> vindictiveness ? Don't kid yourself it couldn't happen. I've seen
> some several instances of vindictiveness creep into commerce in my
> career.
> As a closing shot, your approach requires using the full shebang of a
> program's format, to which PECD reacts with, 'COBOL is too verbose'.
Not quite. I think it is too verbose when using OO, IN COMPARISON TO OTHER
OO LANGUAGES.

It is a subtle, but very important qualifier.

> M/F introduced the feature 'Get rid of the red tape'. Accepting that
> you probably abhor the thought of COBOL having OO, at this point in
> time I am writing a class to handle Dates and Times in COBOL; yes it
> uses the ACCEPT FROM and DATE FUNCTIONS, but you not need to be
> conversant with them, their use is in my methods (source). Boyo, boyo
> do I use that 'exclude red tape'. Assuming PECD produced a Fujitsu
> version of my DateAndTime class, once he sees it, I can guarantee his
> code will be at least twice as large as mine ! Other vendors just
> didn't somehow see the advantage of getting rid of red tape.

At this point I don't anticipate duplicating your code, Jimmy. I have date
components that do everything I want, and the .Net Framework has Classes
that would do anything I overlooked.

As for Red Tape, most COBOL purists (and I suspect that John is one) will
say that it destroys the readability of COBOL, which has traditionally been
one of its major advantages. They are probably right. But it is academic to
me as I don't care about it. It was important when source code was
everything. For me, at least, it isn't any more. All that matters is
functionality and a documented interface to it.

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Feb 10, 4:34 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> James J. Gavan wrote:
> > j...(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
>
> >> Cobol is free. Fujitsu offers a free compiler. Open Cobol runs on
> >> Linux and with some fuss and feathers under MSWindows. Ditto for Tiny
> >> Cobol. So that argument does not hold water.
>
> >> John Culleton
> >> COBOL since 1968
>
> > By and large COBOL is NOT free. IBM - how much for a compiler; are
> >  there on-going costs ? Unisys - same questions. (Not being in the
> > mainframe world I just don't know the answers).
>
> > Yes there is/was a free version of Fujitsu, but I don't think it is
> > the one Pete Dashwood and others are actually using today ?
>
> Can't speak for others Jimmy, but I am (occassionally) using Version 6, the
> last one I bought and registered. The FREE one is version 3, but I can't
> imagine anyone seriously using that as the basis for a commercial business.

They are not allowed to use it as the basis for a commercial venture.
The free version 3 is restricted to be for student and academic use.