From: Pete Dashwood on
john(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> giving them colour and today we have the inbuilt indicators.
>>
>>> As well as wanting to make money, the particular auto maker Company
>>> X, whose vehicles I like, also can see the advantage to consumers of
>>> adding features which are not yet part of the given 'Auto Industry
>>> Self-Imposed Features'. So taking a hypothetical, my brand new car
>>> has the following - which according to you I should ignore :-
>>
>>> - I can run on gasoline, ethanol, natural gas or electricity
>>> - light features, that in an emergency would light up a football
>>> field
>>> - rare, but like Agent 007 - I can take it submarining
>>
>>> So because the 'others' don't as yet have these features, I should
>>> not use them on the spanking new car I just bought ?
>>
>>> In technology there is, and has to be progression, to meet consumer
>>> needs. Like Michael Jackson wanted to be a cryogenic you are
>>> recommending that we only use something (COBOL 85) which was defined
>>> THIRTY-FIVE YEARS ago. Well of course you will counter, use other
>>> stuff, perhaps Java, direct calls to Windoes APIs. Somehow, even
>>> though you spoke to her once, I don't think our Gracie would agree.
>>
> She once said that she didn't want to use COBOL for the things FORTRAN
> was good for,
> and vice versa. And I met her twice, just for the record, at ACM
> chapter meetings.
>
>>> I doubt she mentioned to you, some of the early machinations in
>>> COBOL's inception. One company, (a clue, the word 'Blue' fits), for
>>> whatever reason, wanted a specific feature made 'Confidential'.
>>> Gracie didn't like that and along with a buddy 'suggested' to the
>>> Canadian representative that he should 'accidentally' publish the
>>> feature - it happened - 'Confidentiality' was gonzo !. No, I didn't
>>> dream that up - I got an e-mail from her 'buddy'.
>>
>>> The other thing you should remember is that neither Java nor C# have
>>> either ANSI or ISO imprimaturs. (Sun gave up on getting Java ISO-
>>> approved after they saw the BS that was involved). So far as we are
>>> concerned we have individual compiler vendors putting in their two
>>> cents, initially via ANSI (J4 now PL22.4), and then going through
>>> the rigmarole of ISO. Remember our compiler vendors are COMPETITORS
>>> for the same product. Observing the players at the J4 June/July 2000
>>> meeting at Newbury, I asked the question, "How do the Micro Focus
>>> and IBM representatives get on". Back came the answer, "They get on
>>> very well socially, but remember they are representing competitors".
>>
>>> I sure can't prove it, but looking at some of the features,
>>> (extensions to you), which M/F introduced, I just wonder why they
>>> never became part of COBOL. As Bill Klein once pointed out, having
>>> seen a feature which looked like it had solid approval, M/F
>>> introduced it, only to find that J4 dickered with it after the
>>> event, possibly making the M/F approach invalid.
>
> It has always been an objective of compiler makers to lock in their

Of course, before the advent of hugh level languages, they didn't have to...

>>> Pure conjecture on my part - J4 saw the necessity for changing
>>> something already established, or what M/F suggested as a new
>>> feature just wasn't worth the effort - OR - just pure Competitor
>>> human vindictiveness ? Don't kid yourself it couldn't happen. I've
>>> seen some several instances of vindictiveness creep into commerce
>>> in my career.
>>> As a closing shot, your approach requires using the full shebang of
>>> a program's format, to which PECD reacts with, 'COBOL is too
>>> verbose'.
>>
>> Not quite. I think it is too verbose when using OO, IN COMPARISON TO
>> OTHER OO LANGUAGES.
>>
>> It is a subtle, but very important qualifier.
>>
>>> M/F introduced the feature 'Get rid of the red tape'. Accepting that
>>> you probably abhor the thought of COBOL having OO, at this point in
>>> time I am writing a class to handle Dates and Times in COBOL; yes it
>>> uses the ACCEPT FROM and DATE FUNCTIONS, but you not need to be
>>> conversant with them, their use is in my methods (source). Boyo,
>>> boyo do I use that 'exclude red tape'. Assuming PECD produced a
>>> Fujitsu version of my DateAndTime class, once he sees it, I can
>>> guarantee his code will be at least twice as large as mine ! Other
>>> vendors just didn't somehow see the advantage of getting rid of red
>>> tape.
>>
> Who is PECD?

A very good question.

I understand he has spent many decades answering this question.

>> At this point I don't anticipate duplicating your code, Jimmy. I
>> have date components that do everything I want, and the .Net
>> Framework has Classes that would do anything I overlooked.
>>
>> As for Red Tape, most COBOL purists (and I suspect that John is one)
>> will say that it destroys the readability of COBOL, which has
>> traditionally been one of its major advantages. They are probably
>> right. But it is academic to me as I don't care about it. It was
>> important when source code was everything. For me, at least, it
>> isn't any more. All that matters is functionality and a documented
>> interface to it.
>
> Years ago I was presented with a printout of a program that another
> branch of state government had written.
> We wanted to adapt it to our use. So I went to the IDENTIFICATION
> DIVISION where the author had written
> his name, organization and even his phone number, and of course a
> statement of the purpose of the program in the REMARKS section. I
> called him and we discussed the fine points. Now this information can
> be documented in any programming language, but except for COBOL the
> language itself doesn't encourage it. COBOL, at least COBOL in the old
> days, did encourage it. I do not suggest we go back to the 60's where
> the style was to go on for pages of description in in the REMARKS
> section. But a little who what when where why up there is useful.

Absolutely. No argument there. I should mention that I document the C# I
write in exactly this way, and the same with low level Assemblers.

> And
> although we don't use cross-compilers much a comment in the SOURCE
> COMPUTER paragraph can help when tracing down those pesky non-standard
> extensions.

I think that compiler flagging options do this pretty well and I'd trust the
compiler before I'd trust human comments.

> Again years ago a programmer named Marcello Maniago stated that there
> was no such thing as a one time program. If it worked well it would be
> used again, perhaps with modifications. If it didn't work it wouldn't
> be used the first time. So sound internal documentation of every
> program is still sound policy. Those who disparage it never ran a
> programming shop. Programmers as a class love to program and hate to
> document. That is why the IDENTIFICATION DIVISION was such a brilliant
> concept---make documentation a part of programming.

It is generally risky to generalize about a group of people, John. I have
met programmers (COBOL and non-COBOL who recognise the value of documenting
source, and I have met others who don't.

There was a time (when COBOL was the best or only game in town) when source
code was King. It was protected in the inner sanctum of the Holy of Holies
and only the High Priests of COBOL had access to it.

But times change.

Today I have components written in many different languages (some of which I
didn't write and DON'T have source code for),all playing together nicely on
the level playing field which is .NET.

In a world of objects and layers it is OBJECT code that is important. It
provides FUNCTIONALITY through a documented interface which shows what it
can do. I want that functionality; I interface to that component. It does
what it says it does. I NEVER need to change it. (I might want to extend it
or enhance it, but OO technology allows me to do that pretty easily, whether
I have the source or not (I can include existing methods in a new class
whether I actually have the source code for them or I don't.) The best
analogy I can think of is the way in which we use OS functions every day
without ever having the source code for them. So the whole book is being
rewritten.

Given that (at least in my world) the focus has shifted away from source
code, given that self-documentation of source was one of the major "selling
points" for COBOL, you may see why I don't get excited about it.

> As for procedural code versus OO I think we have a distinction without
> any critical differences. COBOL 85 versions such as OpenCobol have an
> ability to call programs written in COBOL and in C, passing parameters
> back and forth. These can be statically or dynamically linked.
> Programs in other languages can be called by using
> CALL "system" USING programstring.
> Where programstring contains something like
> "wish myprogram.tcl"

Unfortunately, there is a perception (usually by people who don't really
understand OO) that Object Oriented Programming is simply Modular
Programming reinvented.

It really isn't, but the differences are often subtle and it is easy to
decide "ITSA" when it is actually "ITSLIKE". Leaving aside the mechanics of
OOP, the whole implementation of it needs a methodology overview.
Traditional Waterfall based Project Management methodologies just don't work
well with OO. Agile style interactive, iterative development is ideally
suited to it.

> Parameters can be passed either in the command string or in a file.
>
> It is snowing like blazes and I suspect my roof is holding about three
> feet now.
> It was built in an era when 2 x 4's etc. were a tad bigger than they
> are today and load bearing walls were built on 16 in centers rather
> than 24 in centers. Point is, not every change is an improvement.

No, every change is not an improvement.

However it is also true that there is no improvement without change.

Pete

(aka Peter E. C. Dashwood, PECD)

From: Bill Gunshannon on
In article <7th10iFumhU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> In article <7telkiFcvfU1(a)mid.individual.net>,

>>> I never heard of that. He certainly was adicted to alcohol and on ONE
>>> occasion tried to suicide from an overdose of Laudunum (an opiate
>>> commonly used in Victorian times for sleeping problems)... sure
>>> you're not thinking of Samuel Taylor Coleridge? Xanadu is definitely
>>> tripping and there are parts of the Ancient Mariner which look like
>>> they were influenced by substance abuse...
>>>
>>> "The very deeps did rot
>>> Oh, Christ! That ever this should be
>>> Yea... slimy things did crawl with legs
>>> Upon the slimy sea."
>>
>> Poe's opium addiction was well known, at least here in the colonies.
>>
> Citation please, bill?
>
> A web search revealed several sites that disagree.

I guess it is a matter of semantics. Even the pages that refute his
being an "addict" said he used both opium and Laudunum (tincture of
opium). I am sure if you asked most opium users today they would
insist that they were not addicted. The science of opium use seems
to disagree. But it really isn't worth arguing about. He was a great
writer, drug addict or not and he is dead.

bill

billg999(a)cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
From: Alistair on
> Michael Wojcik
> Micro Focus
> Rhetoric & Writing, Michigan State University- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the explanation of the derivation etc., of lolcat, etc. I
had visited the site and was only mildly amused before concluding that
lolcat is too verbose for serious yoof use.
From: Pete Dashwood on
Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> In article <7th10iFumhU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
>> Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>>> Poe's opium addiction was well known, at least here in the colonies.
>>>
>> Citation please, bill?
>>
>> A web search revealed several sites that disagree.
>
> I guess it is a matter of semantics. Even the pages that refute his
> being an "addict" said he used both opium and Laudunum (tincture of
> opium). I am sure if you asked most opium users today they would
> insist that they were not addicted. The science of opium use seems
> to disagree. But it really isn't worth arguing about. He was a great
> writer, drug addict or not and he is dead.

Sure.

I know it is hard to believe from anyone in this forum :-) but I wasn't
looking for an argument (gong sounds in the distance...). Just interested,
and seeing some conflicting information. I think Skippy's post was pretty
definitive and am well satisfied with that. :-)

Pete.

From: Michael Wojcik on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

> Thank you very much for your time and trouble here.I have saved the mail for
> future reference.

No trouble. I come from a long line of researchers. We do this for fun.

> If the course you are pursuing requires you to follow this stuff, I can only
> say, "Wow! I'm glad I never took Rhetoric..."

No requirement. I am in Digital Rhetoric, but that's such a broad
field that I'm sure many of my compatriots have never done any
research into online dialects (though no doubt they're aware of some).

Current work in Digital Rhetoric ranges from applying the ideas of
traditional rhetoric to new media (eg how people make arguments using
Powerpoint), to new rhetorical theories for environments like
social-networking websites, to cognate fields like law (particularly
regarding intellectual property) and software studies.

And Digital Rhetoric is only one small part of the current academic
discipline of rhetoric.

> If you are doing it simply out
> of personal interest, then you really do need to get out more, Michael...

Oh, I've been looking at this stuff on and off for twenty years or so.
Spread out over that, it hasn't really taken up much of my time.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus