From: john on
Many of the posts to this groups involve translating COBOL from brand
x to brand y. And many code snippets would make no sense whatever to
a programmer skilled in COBOL 85 or earlier. I submit that
this new language isn't really COBOL. It isn't readable by most
programmers and isn't portable. It may
be useful, it may be fun, but it reminds me of the old hotrodders
dictum "jack up the horn and build a car
around it." I question whether even the horn has been kept.

My general advice is to write in the 85 standard, the last standard
that looked like COBOL, and avoid
proprietary extensions as much as possible. If some proprietary
extensions for reading/writing to gui's are necessary then isolate
them as a subprogram or copy files.

Writing to COBOL 85 means never having to say "it won't run on my new
company's compiler." COBOL should be
portable, readable, modifiable by any skilled COBOL programmer and
suitable for solving business problems.

As a fellow who once shook hands with Grace Murray Hopper I say:
"Don't try to rewrite Shakespeare
in Esperanto."

John Culleton

From: rtwolfe on
On Feb 3, 9:48 am, "j...(a)wexfordpress.com" <j...(a)wexfordpress.com>
wrote:
> Many of the posts to this groups involve translating COBOL from brand
> x to brand y.  And many code snippets would make no sense whatever to
> a programmer skilled in COBOL 85 or earlier. I submit that
> this new language isn't really COBOL. It isn't readable by most
> programmers and isn't portable. It may
> be useful, it may be fun, but it reminds me of the old hotrodders
> dictum "jack up the horn and build a car
> around it."  I question whether even the horn has been kept.
>
> My general advice is to write in the 85 standard, the last standard
> that looked like COBOL, and avoid
> proprietary extensions as much as possible. If some proprietary
> extensions for reading/writing  to gui's are necessary then isolate
> them as a subprogram or copy files.
>
> Writing to COBOL 85 means never having to say "it won't run on my new
> company's compiler." COBOL should be
> portable, readable, modifiable by any skilled COBOL programmer and
> suitable for solving business problems.
>
> As a fellow who once shook hands with Grace Murray Hopper I say:
> "Don't try to rewrite Shakespeare
> in Esperanto."
>
> John Culleton

John,

You should familiarize yourself with the Flexus COBOL products. Our
philosophy is and always has been that COBOL source should be compiler
independent. Our advanced tools use COBOL CALLs and working storage
variables.

I'll send more details via private e-mail so that I don't clutter the
newsgroup with shameless commercial messages.

From: Pete Dashwood on

I really enjoyed your post John.

I couldn't let it go without comment, though :-)

see below...

john(a)wexfordpress.com wrote:
> Many of the posts to this groups involve translating COBOL from brand
> x to brand y.

And there are other subtleties like moving from indexed files to relational
databases.

You may wonder why people would want to do that.

> And many code snippets would make no sense whatever to
> a programmer skilled in COBOL 85 or earlier.

I am a programmer skilled in COBOL 85 or earlier. I first used COBOL 59 on a
tape based system in 1967.

The new stuff makes perfect sense to me.

I think what you wanted to say was that it wouldn't make sense to "a
programmer skilled in COBOL 85 or earlier" WHO HAD NOT BOTHERED TO EXPAND
HIS SKILL SET AND BELIEVED THAT EVERYTHING HE WANTED TO DO HE COULD DO in
COBOL 85 or earlier?

Yes, I've met a few of those. They seem to have limited horizons.

>I submit that
> this new language isn't really COBOL.

Object Oriented COBOL is CERTAINLY COBOL and has been endorsed as such by
that august body the ANSI.

> It isn't readable by most
> programmers and isn't portable.

I have OO COBOL components running across 7 different platforms (mainframe
and Client/Server) on the Web and on the desktop. I have it interacting with
modern languages like C#, Java and C++. How can it NOT be "portable"? If you
mean the source code is not portable, you might be right, but in the world
of objects the source code of an object is irrelevant. If I can write
"COBOL" on one platform and know that what I've written can be distributed
to every platform that is connected to the World Wide Web, I don't see that
portability is a stumbling block.

"Not readable by most programmers"? I think you mean Procedural COBOL
Programmers. As these are less than 4% of the programmers in the world, I am
struggling with your use of "most". MOST programmers in the world can't read
COBOL or understand the subtleties of it. Neither do they need to.

> It may
> be useful, it may be fun, but it reminds me of the old hotrodders
> dictum "jack up the horn and build a car
> around it." I question whether even the horn has been kept.

Certainly the horn has been kept, along with a few other more important
parts, but the car is no longer a model T. (Sadly, it is not a Ferrari
either, but that is a different discussion).

> My general advice is to write in the 85 standard, the last standard
> that looked like COBOL, and avoid
> proprietary extensions as much as possible.

Sound advice, for people limiting themselves to Procedural COBOL.

Unfortunately, the world at large voted with its feet and moved on, some
time ago. There is a new paradigm that simply works better for most things.
(COBOL 85 is still very good for batch processing, but the days of batch
processing may be numbered...) There are still pockets of standard COBOL
but most sites are seeking to remove it long term.

They are not doing this because of spite against COBOL. They are not doing
it even because they can't do what they need to in (modern OO) COBOL. They
are doing it because COBOL costs too much, and there are MUCH cheaper (and
in many ways better) alternatives available.

At this point I might as well go back to the earlier point about people
moving to Relational Databases. If you benchmark a well written system using
indexed files, for performance against a functionally equivalent Relational
Database, there is a fighting chance that the indexed files will win.

But it isn't technology that decides. It is cost. It is easier to get people
who can write Stored SQL procedures than it is to get COBOL guys. But much
more importantly, moving to the RDB environment "opens " the data resource.
Now it can be easily shared by spreadsheets and desktop DB systems. Need a
report? Instead of taking 3 days to get a COBOL guy to design, code debug
and deliver it, you can have it generated by standard software like Crystal
Reports or StimulSoft or even ACCESS Reports, in minutes, using a graphic
interface that lets you drag and drop fields, control breaks, literals, and
totals wherever you want them, instead of the tedium of counting fillers in
a printline. Instead of the corporate data asset being locked up behind the
mysterious veil of COBOL programming, it is open and available to anyone
authorised to access it.

>If some proprietary
> extensions for reading/writing to gui's are necessary then isolate
> them as a subprogram or copy files.

Bob Wolfe has already responded to this, and his company's products are
excellent.

There are many excellent products you can bolt on to COBOL to enhance its
usefulness, but it remains COBOL.

There is a very large question mark over its long term future. Like I said
before, it simply costs too much and it isn't capable enough, compared to
other products that are now available.

I am strongly committed to NOT throwing COBOL away and am offering solutions
that can extend the life of useful code, but I have no illusions that there
will be a long term viability for it. (please visit:
http://primacomputing.co.nz/cobol21)

Long term, the goal has to be to move to a world of Objects and Layers,
where your existing COBOL code can work with other objects written in other
languages on the desktop and (increasingly) the web.

Object Orientation can do this easily and seamlessly; Procedural code can't.
(Fortunately, it is possible to "wrap" existng procedural code so that it
can. This is a viable way to bring existing code into the "New Technology".)

> Writing to COBOL 85 means never having to say "it won't run on my new
> company's compiler."

Assuming the new company HAS a compiler.

>COBOL should be
> portable, readable, modifiable by any skilled COBOL programmer and
> suitable for solving business problems.

Why?

New languages are portable, readable, modifiable by even a moderately
skilled programmer and have thousands of prewritten components that
immediately solve business problems. Not only that, but most of them are
FREE.

You can't say that about COBOL.

> As a fellow who once shook hands with Grace Murray Hopper I say:
> "Don't try to rewrite Shakespeare
> in Esperanto."

Sure. But don't try and rewrite Shakespeare in English, either.

Pete.

From: Alistair on
On Feb 5, 10:32 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Sure. But don't try and rewrite Shakespeare in English, either.

I can't resist:

2 B / not 2 B?
From: Pete Dashwood on
Alistair wrote:
> On Feb 5, 10:32 am, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> Sure. But don't try and rewrite Shakespeare in English, either.
>>

> I can't resist:
>
> 2 B / not 2 B?

LOL!

I guess it is only a matterof time before someone with more time on their
hands than they should have, produces a TXT version of the works of
Shakespeare.

If it would get kids to read the original, I wouldn't complain. :-)