From: Tom-S on
Sounds like maybe you need to be using COUNTIF rather than COUNT e.g.

=COUNTIF(range,">value")

where you substitute for range and value as needed.

This works on numbers directly entered into cells as well as numbers which
are the result of formulas.

When I tested (Excel 2003), COUNT would also count the number of cells in
which there are direct entry numbers as well as numbers which are the result
of formulas.

Regards,

Tom

From: Max on
Think COUNTIF is what you're after, not COUNT
Try something like this:
=COUNTIF(D2:F4,">=2")
which returns the number of cells within D2:F4 containing numbers greater
than or equal to 2. Adapt the range and condition to suit your actuals.
--
Max
Singapore
From: T. Valko on
>I need the count function to check on the number
>of occurances a particular value is exceeded.

This will count cells that contain a number greater than 100.

=COUNTIF(A1:Z100,">100")

Or, using a cell to hold the criteria...

AB1 = 100

=COUNTIF(A1:Z100,">"&AB1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 03:54:03 -0700, robinessex
<robinessex(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can you get around the count function seeing formulas in any cell
>referenced as data?

You misunderstand the COUNT function. It only sees "formulas" as data
if the formula returns a numeric value.

If you could be more specific as to what you are trying to do, you
might get some useful advice.
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 05:52:02 -0700, robinessex
<robinessex(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can you change the count function seeing formulas in cells as data. This
>makes the function completely useless. I have an array 1000 cells X 500
>cells. I need the count function to check on the number of occurances a
>particular value is exceeded. The data is read into each of these cells by a
>formula.

Don't use the COUNT function.

=COUNTIF(your_array,">particular_value")

will probably do what you want.

or

=COUNTIF(your_array,">"&cell_ref)

where cell_ref is the address of a cell that contains the value you
wish to see exceeded.