From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Bradj57" <Bradj57(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -Windows XP, Version 5.1
> -The account is pop mail with yahoo! (let me know if you need something more
> specific than that)

Do you pay for a Yahoo Plus account? Free yahoo.com (or yahoo.ca) can't be
used with Outook or any POP mail client. Yahoo won't allow it. ISPs like
AT&T and British Telecom contract with Yahoo to host their mail for them and
subscribers to those services get a Yahoo Plus account as a part of that
service.

> -It worked just fine for over a year but just started doing this a couple
> months ago. I have no recollection of doing anything different or
> downloading anything that would have distrupted my Outlook

If you have autoupdates from Microsoft or your antivirus program enabled, then
you DO download something freqently and install it. Sometimes these updates
can affect Outlook.

> -I do not know how to view the event log. I did a Google search for what
> that means and where I would find it but I am not sure where I would find
> the
> log specific to Outlook. Can you let me know where I can find the exact
> information you are looking for?

Right-click My Computer, choose Manage, Expand Event Viewer under System
Tools. Examine the System and Application logs for any references to Outlook.
There may be an Office log also.

> Lastly I was dissapointed to see the negative tone in your email.

What negative tone is that? Where was I pejorative or insulting? How can you
see "tone" in an electronic message? You can't tell anything about my "tone"
unless I insult you.

> I appreciate your help but would also appreciate your understanding that I
> am
> not overly computer literate, particularly when it comes to diagnosing
> errors.

And where did you point that out so we could know how much guidance you need?
I tend to asssume people know what they're doing unless they say otherwise.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Bradj57 on
I use a Yahoo plus account.
I do have an anti-virus program. To be accurate then, I do not remember
knowingly/manually downloading anything that would have altered my Outlook.
I could not find any reference to Outlook in the event log (checked the
areas you suggested). Would I clearly see "Outlook" or "Office" or should I
be looking for something else?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

>I use a Yahoo plus account.
> I do have an anti-virus program. To be accurate then, I do not remember
> knowingly/manually downloading anything that would have altered my Outlook.

If you allow WIndows and/or yout antivirus program to autoupdate itself, this
can produce a change that will change a PC's behavior.

> I could not find any reference to Outlook in the event log (checked the
> areas you suggested). Would I clearly see "Outlook" or "Office" or should I
> be looking for something else?

Use Find under the View menu to search the System or Application event log for
"outlook" in the Description field.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Bradj57 on
I found some event logs in Application and System but none before 2008. The
dates on the logs go up to Jan 2008 then jump to 2017. However, none of the
Outlook related things show up past 2007. Does that matter? Would this
particular error still be in one of the older logs?

Also, I had the Norton anti-virus long before I started having these
problems. Does that mean that a new definition downloaded from Norton could
have fouled this up?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

>I found some event logs in Application and System but none before 2008. The
> dates on the logs go up to Jan 2008 then jump to 2017. However, none of the
> Outlook related things show up past 2007. Does that matter? Would this
> particular error still be in one of the older logs?

Possibly. Clearly you had your PC's clock set incorrectly at some point.

> Also, I had the Norton anti-virus long before I started having these
> problems. Does that mean that a new definition downloaded from Norton could
> have fouled this up?

Sure, particularly with Symantec products, well-known for not behaving well
when used with Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]