From: Jon Harris on
"Steve Underwood" <steveu(a)dis.org> wrote in message
> Jerry Avins wrote:

> >> Sure. A low pass filter and subtraction gives a high pass filter.
> >> However, when someone says use a high pass filter, and the previous
> >> post talked about subtracting a DC estimate, I rather think they mean
> >> a direct HPF implementation.
> >

> > Why is direct superior to going around the other side of the barn? If
> > the final result is the same, the simplest approach is usually to be
> > preferred. Are there hidden assumptions we don't share?
>
> I don't follow you. Going around the other side of the barn is the
> better and simpler solution here. You estimate the DC with a cheapo
> single pole IIR, which can be easily shaped, implemented without a
> single multiply, and inserts no delay. A directly implemented high pass
> would be maybe a massive FIR, or a bunch of bi-quads with horrible
> things happening in the dynamics of the numbers.

Why couldn't the directly implemented high pass be just a single pole IIR as
well? As Robert has pointed out, doing that is mathematically equivalent to
using a LP with the same cut-off and subtracting it.

From: Jerry Avins on
Dave Coffey wrote:

> Jerry Avins wrote:
>
>>Ouch! You want to discard the lower bits of the sum, but not of the
>>addends. For some purposes, it's even a good idea to save the
>>"discarded" bits (including sign) and add them to the next computed
>>average before truncating. It depends on which errors you want to minimize.
>
> Hi Jerry,
> That wasn't entirely the case. I suggested that the latch feeding
> the DAC be aligned to discard bits, not the actual accumulator itself.
> Guess I should have been more explicit.

Dave, I got your point. However the bits are discarded -- your alignment
idea is elegant, even if old hat in some circles -- the information they
carried is lost. Add them to the accumulator. They may cause carries
where zeros would not, and if they almost do, the retained remainder may
help to do it next time. Those low bits carry useful information.
Discarding them is worse than truncating. Using them (and keeping them
by saving the remainder) adds significant precision. A similar technique
in IIR filters can avoid limit cycling.

Jerry
ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
From: Jerry Avins on
ytregubov(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I've mentioned LPF mostly because such signal filtering is a GENERIC
> thing and many signal processing tricks are in fact DFs.
>
> Kind russian regards,
> Yuri

DF?

From: ytregubov on
Jerry,

>DF ?
digital filter

Yuri

From: Jerry Avins on
ytregubov(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Jerry,
>

>>DF ?
>
> digital filter
>
> Yuri

Thank you.

Damn Fool
ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: SHARC debug
Next: Who Invented the Z Transform