From: Tim Wescott on
It's pretty easy to figure out who was responsible for the Fourier
transform, ditto for the Laplace.

Does anybody out there know who dreamed up the z transform (Please tell
me it wasn't someone named 'Z')?

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

From: John E. Hadstate on

"Tim Wescott" <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote in message
> It's pretty easy to figure out who was responsible for the
> Fourier transform, ditto for the Laplace.
>
> Does anybody out there know who dreamed up the z transform
> (Please tell me it wasn't someone named 'Z')?

"The techniques of the z-transform method are not new, for
they can be actually traced back as early as 1730 when
DeMoivre introduced the concept of the 'generating function'
(which is actually identical to the z-transform) to
probability theory."

Jury, E. I., Theory and Application of the z-Transform
Method, (c) 1964, John Wiley & Sons, New York, Page 1.

References at the end of Chapter 1 show:

[5] Helm, H. A., "The z-Transformation," B.S.T. Journal, Vo
38, No. 1, 1956, pp 177-196

[32] Lago, G. V., "Additions to z-Transformation Theory for
Sampled-Data Systems," Trans. AIEE Vol. 74, Part II, 1955,
pp. 403-408

From: Jerry Avins on
Tim Wescott wrote:
> It's pretty easy to figure out who was responsible for the Fourier
> transform, ditto for the Laplace.
>
> Does anybody out there know who dreamed up the z transform (Please tell
> me it wasn't someone named 'Z')?

His name actually _ends_ with z: Witold Hurewicz, in 1947. It was named
in 1952 by a sampled-data control group at Columbia University, one of
who's grad student members taught a course at CCNY a year or two later
that I audited and promptly forgot.
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Hurewicz.html

Jerry
ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
From: Sanctus on

"Jerry Avins" <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote in message
> Tim Wescott wrote:
> > It's pretty easy to figure out who was responsible for the Fourier
> > transform, ditto for the Laplace.
> >
> > Does anybody out there know who dreamed up the z transform (Please tell
> > me it wasn't someone named 'Z')?
>
> His name actually _ends_ with z: Witold Hurewicz, in 1947. It was named
> in 1952 by a sampled-data control group at Columbia University, one of
> who's grad student members taught a course at CCNY a year or two later
> that I audited and promptly forgot.
> http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Hurewicz.html
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
> ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý

Complex variables have been known since the time of Cauchy in the 18th
century - remember all those contour integrals? You mean for engineering
applications I presume? Also sampled systems were known in stats by
Whittaker in the 1920s I think in Edinburgh who also discovered the sampling
theorem.I also heard (in this newsgroup) that it was Prof Zadeh who coined
the term z-transform though he did not name it Z after his own name.

Sanctus

From: Andor on
Wasn't there this Russian ... ?

:-)