From: Clay S. Turner on

"Sanctus" <sanctus(a)upthere.com> wrote in message

> "John E. Hadstate" <jh113355(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sanctus" <sanctus(a)upthere.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Andor" <an2or(a)mailcircuit.com> wrote in message

>> > There was a Russian who also discovered the sampling
>> > theorem.
>> >
>> > Sanctus
>> >

>> Nyquist -- Swedish -- 1927
>>

> So what did Shannon do?
>
> Sanctus

He formalized the already known results (due to Whitaker, Kotelnikov,
Hartley, and Nyquist) and mentions at the front of one of his papers on
sampling that these ideas are known to anyone skilled in the art. But he is
the one that connects them together in a formal sense. Also he goes on to
define entropy (as applied to information and not thermodynamics) and then
provides both the noiseless and noisy coding theorems, both of which are
completely new.

Clay

"A Mathematical Theory of Communication" A must read for DSPers
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/what/shannonday/shannon1948.pdf

His complete bibliography:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/doc/shannonbib.html

From: eunometic on
I got into this thread late: but it wasn't Laplace that invented the
S-transform: it was Olover Heavaside. It's sometimes called the
Heaviside Transform.

Pure mathematicians rejected his work because of a lack of proof to
their expected standards but engineers used it becuase it worked.
Engineers still use Heaviside Functions albeit modified to conform more
to the pure mathematicians Laplace transform.

Hilbert Transforms were ofcourse developed by Hilbert and the Dirac
delta by Dirac. Hilbert incidently had developed relativity before
Einstein: Einstein who had read Hilberts papers simply 'gazzumped' him
to publication and has been reaping the publicity since.

From: bhooshaniyer on
Gee, is it me or did we a thread on the same lines like a couple of months
back? I clicked on the links Jerry provided to read about Witold Hurewicz
and it felt like a second coming. Or did I belong in my previous birth?

--Bhooshan

This message was sent using the Comp.DSP web interface on
www.DSPRelated.com
From: Clay S. Turner on

<eunometic(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Hilbert Transforms were ofcourse developed by Hilbert and the Dirac
> delta by Dirac.

The "delta function" came before Dirac, but it was little known. He
popularized the concept and showed how useful it can be to applications in
quantum mechanics.

> Hilbert incidently had developed relativity before
> Einstein: Einstein who had read Hilberts papers simply 'gazzumped' him
> to publication and has been reaping the publicity since.

Really? Which aspects of relativity theory did David Hilbert invent?

Clay

From: Gordon Sande on

Clay S. Turner wrote:
> <eunometic(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hilbert Transforms were ofcourse developed by Hilbert and the Dirac
>>delta by Dirac.
>

> The "delta function" came before Dirac, but it was little known. He
> popularized the concept and showed how useful it can be to applications in
> quantum mechanics.
>

>>Hilbert incidently had developed relativity before
>>Einstein: Einstein who had read Hilberts papers simply 'gazzumped' him
>>to publication and has been reaping the publicity since.
>

> Really? Which aspects of relativity theory did David Hilbert invent?
>

> Clay

Most detailed histories of almost any scientific activity show that
there was someone who did some piece of work and another who later
realized that it had a much broader scope. The recognition tends
to go to the worker who realizes the importance.

All of the Maxwell equations were know before Maxwell but they had
not been collected into a system to provide a common example of this.

Einstein's special relativity used the known Lorentz transformation.