From: Jerry Avins on
Fred Stevens wrote:
> What about Tustin in England, didn't he do a lot of work in this area?
>
> fred.

Wasn't he the bilinear guy?

Jerry
ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
From: Al Clark on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote in news:1qednboPe9cB_ljfRVn-qQ(a)rcn.net:

> Fred Stevens wrote:
>> What about Tustin in England, didn't he do a lot of work in this area?
>>
>> fred.
>
> Wasn't he the bilinear guy?
>
> Jerry

I think the Z transform was discovered by Zefram Cochran; the guy who will
invent the warp drive.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
From: Sanctus on

"John E. Hadstate" <jh113355(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Sanctus" <sanctus(a)upthere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Andor" <an2or(a)mailcircuit.com> wrote in message
> >> Wasn't there this Russian ... ?
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> > There was a Russian who also discovered the sampling
> > theorem.
> >
> > Sanctus
> >

> Nyquist -- Swedish -- 1927

So what did Shannon do?

Sanctus

From: Rick Lyons on
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:03:45 +1200, "Sanctus" <sanctus(a)upthere.com>
wrote:

>"Jerry Avins" <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote in message
>> Tim Wescott wrote:
>> > It's pretty easy to figure out who was responsible for the Fourier
>> > transform, ditto for the Laplace.
>> >
>> > Does anybody out there know who dreamed up the z transform (Please tell
>> > me it wasn't someone named 'Z')?
>>
>> His name actually _ends_ with z: Witold Hurewicz, in 1947. It was named
>> in 1952 by a sampled-data control group at Columbia University, one of
>> who's grad student members taught a course at CCNY a year or two later
>> that I audited and promptly forgot.
>> http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Hurewicz.html
>>
>> Jerry
>> --
>> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
>> ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
>
>Complex variables have been known since the time of Cauchy in the 18th
>century - remember all those contour integrals? You mean for engineering
>applications I presume? Also sampled systems were known in stats by
>Whittaker in the 1920s I think in Edinburgh who also discovered the sampling
>theorem.I also heard (in this newsgroup) that it was Prof Zadeh who coined
>the term z-transform though he did not name it Z after his own name.
>
>Sanctus

Hi,

It was I who asked Julius Kasuma (by the way, what's
happened to Julius?) to ask Prof. Zadeh if the
z-transform (created by Zadeh and his colleagues at
Columbia University years ago) was named after Zadeh himself.

Julius was a grad student at Berkeley at the time of my
question and Prof. Zadeh was also at Berkeley.

Julius approached the professor & according to Julius,
Prof. Zadeh said they used the letter
"z" because that letter wasn't typically used for anything
else (like "e" for voltage, "i" for current, "R" for
resistance, etc.) in electral engineering.

Interesting huh?

See Ya',
[-Rick-]

From: Jerry Avins on
Rick Lyons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It was I who asked Julius Kasuma (by the way, what's
> happened to Julius?) to ask Prof. Zadeh if the
> z-transform (created by Zadeh and his colleagues at
> Columbia University years ago) was named after Zadeh himself.
>
> Julius was a grad student at Berkeley at the time of my
> question and Prof. Zadeh was also at Berkeley.
>
> Julius approached the professor & according to Julius,
> Prof. Zadeh said they used the letter
> "z" because that letter wasn't typically used for anything
> else (like "e" for voltage, "i" for current, "R" for
> resistance, etc.) in electral engineering.
>
> Interesting huh?

Impedance? OK, that's capitalized.