From: Clay on
Actually Maxwell introduced the concept of displacement current. And
with this modification the system became complete. He certainly based
his work on Gauss, Faraday, and Ampere. But before he did his
modification to Ampere's law, the only theoretical way to produce a
magnetic field was to have a current (charges in motion). He added the
notion that a time varing electric field also produced a magnetic
field. He set up an experiement where a constant current was charging a
capacitor and noted that a magnetic field existed in between the plates
of the cap where there was clearly no current flowing. He also noted
that this magnetic field had the same total flux as the field
surounding the conductors leading to and from the capacitor.

While Einstein used the Lorentz transform, he changed the reasoning
behind its usage and its actual interpretation. However people still
call the Lorentz transform a "Lorentz" transform. Einstein's greatest
work was in GR. SR is pretty easy to follow, but Einstein had the
forthought to choose the proper two axioms (velocity of light is
constant in vacuo and physics is the same everywhere) and show that
Maxwell's wave equation is invariant under Lorentz transformation. GR
took a lot more vision and the use of tensors. The biggest contributor
would be Poincare'.

His work on GR cost him 11 years of work after SR and his marriage.
Other scientists warned him to not work on gravity since it is too
hard. Not to take away from Hilbert's mathematical ability, I never
seen his work mentioned in relativity books saying that he predated
Einstein.

From: Jerry Avins on
Clay wrote:
> Actually Maxwell introduced the concept of displacement current. And
> with this modification the system became complete. He certainly based
> his work on Gauss, Faraday, and Ampere. But before he did his
> modification to Ampere's law, the only theoretical way to produce a
> magnetic field was to have a current (charges in motion). He added the
> notion that a time varing electric field also produced a magnetic
> field. He set up an experiement where a constant current was charging a
> capacitor and noted that a magnetic field existed in between the plates
> of the cap where there was clearly no current flowing. He also noted
> that this magnetic field had the same total flux as the field
> surounding the conductors leading to and from the capacitor.
>
> While Einstein used the Lorentz transform, he changed the reasoning
> behind its usage and its actual interpretation. However people still
> call the Lorentz transform a "Lorentz" transform. Einstein's greatest
> work was in GR. SR is pretty easy to follow, but Einstein had the
> forthought to choose the proper two axioms (velocity of light is
> constant in vacuo and physics is the same everywhere) and show that
> Maxwell's wave equation is invariant under Lorentz transformation. GR
> took a lot more vision and the use of tensors. The biggest contributor
> would be Poincare'.
>
> His work on GR cost him 11 years of work after SR and his marriage.
> Other scientists warned him to not work on gravity since it is too
> hard. Not to take away from Hilbert's mathematical ability, I never
> seen his work mentioned in relativity books saying that he predated
> Einstein.

And his Nobel Prize in 1921 was not for relativity, but for explaining
the photoelectric effect, essentially laying the foundation for quantum
mechanics.

Jerry
ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý
From: Shytot on

"Gordon Sande" <g.sande(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Clay S. Turner wrote:
> > <eunometic(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hilbert Transforms were ofcourse developed by Hilbert and the Dirac
> >>delta by Dirac.
> >

> > The "delta function" came before Dirac, but it was little known. He
> > popularized the concept and showed how useful it can be to applications
in
> > quantum mechanics.
> >

> >>Hilbert incidently had developed relativity before
> >>Einstein: Einstein who had read Hilberts papers simply 'gazzumped' him
> >>to publication and has been reaping the publicity since.
> >

> > Really? Which aspects of relativity theory did David Hilbert invent?
> >

> > Clay
> >

> Most detailed histories of almost any scientific activity show that
> there was someone who did some piece of work and another who later
> realized that it had a much broader scope. The recognition tends
> to go to the worker who realizes the importance.
>
> All of the Maxwell equations were know before Maxwell but they had
> not been collected into a system to provide a common example of this.
>
> Einstein's special relativity used the known Lorentz transformation.

It was Heviside who wrote the vector form of Maxwells equations - the ones
we recognise - not Maxwell.

Shytot

From: Robert E. Beaudoin on
Clay wrote:
> Actually Maxwell introduced the concept of displacement current. And
> with this modification the system became complete. He certainly based
> his work on Gauss, Faraday, and Ampere. But before he did his
> modification to Ampere's law, the only theoretical way to produce a
> magnetic field was to have a current (charges in motion). He added the
> notion that a time varing electric field also produced a magnetic
> field. He set up an experiement where a constant current was charging a
> capacitor and noted that a magnetic field existed in between the plates
> of the cap where there was clearly no current flowing. He also noted
> that this magnetic field had the same total flux as the field
> surounding the conductors leading to and from the capacitor.
>
> While Einstein used the Lorentz transform, he changed the reasoning
> behind its usage and its actual interpretation. However people still
> call the Lorentz transform a "Lorentz" transform. Einstein's greatest
> work was in GR. SR is pretty easy to follow, but Einstein had the
> forthought to choose the proper two axioms (velocity of light is
> constant in vacuo and physics is the same everywhere) and show that
> Maxwell's wave equation is invariant under Lorentz transformation. GR
> took a lot more vision and the use of tensors. The biggest contributor
> would be Poincare'.
>
> His work on GR cost him 11 years of work after SR and his marriage.
> Other scientists warned him to not work on gravity since it is too
> hard. Not to take away from Hilbert's mathematical ability, I never
> seen his work mentioned in relativity books saying that he predated
> Einstein.

I suppose the OP was referring to Hilbert's action principle (for
gravitation as a consequence of space-time curvature). According
to Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler (see section 21.2 of their book
_Gravitation_) Hilbert published this all of 5 days before Einstein
published his field equation, but in their words "animated by
Einstein's earlier work". The Einstein field equation (for empty
space-time at least) follows from Hilbert's principle, which is
basically the principle of least action applied to a Lagrangian
proportional to the Ricci curvature scalar. I don't think there's
any doubt that credit for the field equation (and so for general
relativity) belongs solely to Einstein, but Hilbert's work also
seems to me to be worth noting.

Hope that clears things up.

Robert E. Beaudoin
From: bhooshaniyer on

> which is basically the principle of least action
> applied to a Lagrangian proportional to the Ricci
> curvature scalar.

To just read that felt surreal!

--Bhooshan

This message was sent using the Comp.DSP web interface on
www.DSPRelated.com