From: George's Pro Sound Co. on
I am currently in connecticut(350 miles from home0 attending a three day
training seminar on a new BOSE dsp aduio distribution and sound system for
hotels and airports, this is not throwing up a couple of 802's and walking
away, DMX has paid for 20contractors to be part a select team to impliment
this "Control Space " system
I believe I would master this on my own but bose and DMX require completion
and certification to be brought on board with this exciting new product
so Dave if your out there, you will see me in your nightmares!!!
George

From: Rupert on
On Mar 24, 5:10 am, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am currently in connecticut(350 miles from home0 attending a three day
> training seminar on a new BOSE dsp aduio distribution and sound system for
> hotels and airports, this is not throwing up a couple of 802's and walking
> away, DMX has paid for 20contractors to be part a select team to impliment
> this "Control Space " system
> I believe I would master this on my own but bose and DMX require completion
> and certification to be brought on board with this exciting new product
> so Dave if your out there, you will see me in your nightmares!!!
> George

I suppose if there's one thing Bose might be useful for it would be
distributed audio. I don't feel the same way about live sound
reinforcement. I hope their products in the distributed world are
priced more reasonably for what you get compared to the consumer and
live sound products which are made out of cheap parts.

Rupert
From: Denny Strauser on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 24/03/2010 20:35, in article
> eLOdnRZpWsLh6jfWnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Joe what will you be putting into a 800 sq ft shoe store playing BGM program
>> at around 60db? and remember it has to meet a saleable price point as well
>> as user simplicity needs
>
> The answer to that is: Nothing. That is not my business. I refuse to get
> involved in that. That's not live sound. There's no band playing. Not my
> business, not my job.
>
> BTW: last shoe store I bought a pair in did not have background muzak. Maybe
> that's precisely why I felt happy to go in there. In my book, background
> muzak is noise pollution and should be banned.
>
> There you go, my rant after a long night worrying about a dying dbx
> Driverack PA, installed in a pub's kitchen of all places instead of the room
> the band was playing in.

Many sound companies do install of commercial sound systems. It may not
be live sound, but it makes more money than live sound for many
companies who do live sound. I moved to Pittsburgh to work with the
largest sound company here, & install made more money than live shows.
In the slow time of the year, I was sent out on install. It was not as
glamorous, but it was their biggest money maker.

-Denny
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 24/03/2010 20:35, in article
>> eLOdnRZpWsLh6jfWnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
>> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Joe what will you be putting into a 800 sq ft shoe store playing BGM
>>> program
>>> at around 60db? and remember it has to meet a saleable price point as
>>> well
>>> as user simplicity needs
>>
>> The answer to that is: Nothing. That is not my business. I refuse to get
>> involved in that. That's not live sound. There's no band playing. Not my
>> business, not my job.
>>
>> BTW: last shoe store I bought a pair in did not have background muzak.
>> Maybe
>> that's precisely why I felt happy to go in there. In my book, background
>> muzak is noise pollution and should be banned.
>>
>> There you go, my rant after a long night worrying about a dying dbx
>> Driverack PA, installed in a pub's kitchen of all places instead of the
>> room
>> the band was playing in.
>
> Many sound companies do install of commercial sound systems. It may not be
> live sound, but it makes more money than live sound for many companies who
> do live sound. I moved to Pittsburgh to work with the largest sound
> company here, & install made more money than live shows. In the slow time
> of the year, I was sent out on install. It was not as glamorous, but it
> was their biggest money maker.
>
> -Denny

and the hours are better as well.:-)

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 25/03/2010 18:41, in article
0qWdnWGRj6DnMzbWnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

(...)

>> If someone specs Bose and you bid it and make money, good. But its usually
>> NOT the most cost effective solution.
>

> Cost effective and most profitable are often in conflict
> you need limited distribution to reduce the number of local bidders able to
> meet the job spec
>
> and quite honestly none of the instal stuff is upto muster compared to live
> sound gear, but when I sell bose I get list, when I sell soundolier I am
> lucky to get 20 over cost

My point exactly. That's thinking like a salesman, and if there's one thing
I don't want to be it's a salesman. If all I wanted was to make lots of
money, I would have become a banker.

Doesn't change the fact that every time I encounter an installed Bose
system, usually in a club or similar, I always, and I mean always, walk out
again with a headache and ringing ears. And it always, and I mean always,
sound shite.

All the best with your venture, George, and may you make lots of money.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3