From: JWald on
Evidently I blew out the element on my D6 by placing it just insde the reso
head hole. I've sent it in for repair, and while talking to the dude at
Audix, he mentioned that that is not the best spot; claims all that air
isn't good on the equipment. It sounded decent out front, and I really liked
it in my IEM's, but he suggests placement deeper in the drum, close to the
shell with the element aimed at the beater. Basically, keep it out of the
way of the air blast. My D6 is used on 20, 22, and 24 inch kicks for a
weekend warrior rock cover band. On occasion, I also use a D112 and a Beta
52. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

From: Rupert on
On Mar 23, 1:08 pm, "JWald" <wl...(a)grics.net> wrote:
> Evidently I blew out the element on my D6 by placing it just insde the reso
> head hole. I've sent it in for repair, and while talking to the dude at
> Audix, he mentioned that that is not the best spot; claims all that air
> isn't good on the equipment. It sounded decent out front, and I really liked
> it in my IEM's, but he suggests placement deeper in the drum, close to the
> shell with the element aimed at the beater. Basically, keep it out of the
> way of the air blast. My D6 is used on 20, 22, and 24 inch kicks for a
> weekend warrior rock cover band. On occasion, I also use a D112 and a Beta
> 52. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
>
> --
> J Wald
>
> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

Hmm. I've been using D6's just inside the head hole for years without
problems. The D6's I've had that died did so when not in actual use
but rather being stored or taken out of the mic box, hard to say
which. Who did you speak to at Audix, was it Cliff? I guess I should
have a conversation with him. The most common failure mode I've seen
with the D series Audix mics in general are shifted pole pieces which
freeze the voice coil, not diaphragm damage. Those usually occur from
dropping/knocking around or just bad pole piece fastening. I've had a
couple DOA like that. Do you know the failure mode of your mic? I
suspect the real problem is a shifted pole piece. It seems unlikely
that the kick drum "woosh" would cause that, but I suppose the Audix
fastening method for their pole pieces is on the fragile side. Seems
like they should remedy that issue.

Rupert
From: geoff on
JWald wrote:
> Evidently I blew out the element on my D6 by placing it just insde
> the reso head hole. I've sent it in for repair, and while talking to
> the dude at Audix, he mentioned that that is not the best spot;
> claims all that air isn't good on the equipment. It sounded decent
> out front, and I really liked it in my IEM's, but he suggests
> placement deeper in the drum, close to the shell with the element
> aimed at the beater. Basically, keep it out of the way of the air
> blast. My D6 is used on 20, 22, and 24 inch kicks for a weekend
> warrior rock cover band. On occasion, I also use a D112 and a Beta 52. Any
> other suggestions? Thanks.

Yeah, never stick your mic (any mic) where there is a huge wind blast !

geoff

From: JWald on

"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 23, 1:08 pm, "JWald" <wl...(a)grics.net> wrote:
> Evidently I blew out the element on my D6 by placing it just insde the
> reso
> head hole. I've sent it in for repair, and while talking to the dude at
> Audix, he mentioned that that is not the best spot; claims all that air
> isn't good on the equipment. It sounded decent out front, and I really
> liked
> it in my IEM's, but he suggests placement deeper in the drum, close to the
> shell with the element aimed at the beater. Basically, keep it out of the
> way of the air blast. My D6 is used on 20, 22, and 24 inch kicks for a
> weekend warrior rock cover band. On occasion, I also use a D112 and a Beta
> 52. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
>
> --
> J Wald
>
> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

Hmm. I've been using D6's just inside the head hole for years without
problems. The D6's I've had that died did so when not in actual use
but rather being stored or taken out of the mic box, hard to say
which. Who did you speak to at Audix, was it Cliff? I guess I should
have a conversation with him. The most common failure mode I've seen
with the D series Audix mics in general are shifted pole pieces which
freeze the voice coil, not diaphragm damage. Those usually occur from
dropping/knocking around or just bad pole piece fastening. I've had a
couple DOA like that. Do you know the failure mode of your mic? I
suspect the real problem is a shifted pole piece. It seems unlikely
that the kick drum "woosh" would cause that, but I suppose the Audix
fastening method for their pole pieces is on the fragile side. Seems
like they should remedy that issue.

Rupert

I believe I talked with Marc. My mic is a few years old, but it doesn't get
used all that often. It was working fine one day and it was dead the next;
no drops, no bumps, no nothing. Marc never asked about my placement, but did
offer that info. It is however, how I use mine and took it from there. From
the matter of fact answers I got, I assumed this happens all the time and
wondered if maybe I had an older model that had issues in the past, but had
been addressed in a re-design. Marc explained that he had gotten some 6's
back off the road and had applied, what I took to be a *super fix*(my words,
not his), because he hasn't seen them again.
This a link to a picture he sent to me.
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/jwald_01/AudixD6.jpg
I assume it is what he expected the problem to be. If you do talk to Cliff,
tell him the service I got was second to none. I was told to address the
package with a same day repair RA#, and the repair is already on it's way
back to me in just a weeks time. As it's already shipped, I'm thinking they
are fixing an out of warranty mic for free. That is stellar in my book.

From: geoff on
JWald wrote:

> I believe I talked with Marc. My mic is a few years old, but it
> doesn't get used all that often. It was working fine one day and it
> was dead the next; no drops, no bumps, no nothing. Marc never asked
> about my placement, but did offer that info.

Even if it doesn't die directly while in the wind-blast, the diaphram may be
stressed - maybe even bent, twisted, or impacted - and may indeed die
subsequently while not in use, as things attempt to settle back.

I've seen it happen more often with 421s used in this scenrario. Sometimes
dead, but more often than not the voice-coil starts rubbing, give a thin
tinnier tone.

geoff