From: Pegasus [MVP] on
> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and selecting
> it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>
> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>
> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?

There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB
Script.
b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
double-clicking it in Explorer).
c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs

There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will come
to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.

What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is it, in
fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from the
Micorosoft site?

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>
>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>
>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>

> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script: a) Right-click the
> shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB Script. b)
> Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
> double-clicking it in Explorer). c) With the command cscript.exe
> [parms] NameOfScript.vbs d) With the command wscript.exe [parms]
> NameOfScript.vbs
>
> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.

Speaking of subtle differences, there may be four ways to /run/ a
script, but there are many more ways to /open/ a script, like with a
text editor, and I think that is where the OP got into trouble.

--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.
From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/10/2010 12:44 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>
>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>
>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>

> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
> VB Script.
> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
> double-clicking it in Explorer).
> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>
> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>
> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
> the Micorosoft site?
From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".

Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
I don't use Explorer.
Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
download?

Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

From: mbyerley on

<wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 8/10/2010 12:44 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>>
>>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>>
>>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>>

>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>> VB Script.
>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>
>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>
>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>> the Micorosoft site?
> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".

The *.chm file has to be on a local drive or you will get the display you
describe.

From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/10/2010 1:43 PM, mbyerley wrote:
> <wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>>> VB Script.
>>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>>
>>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>>
>>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>>> the Micorosoft site?
>> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
>> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
>> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
>> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".
>
> The *.chm file has to be on a local drive or you will get the display you
> describe.
>
>> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
>> I don't use Explorer.
>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
>> download?

It is on a local drive. script56.chm is in my download folder.