From: wolf_tracks on
I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
calculation. I'm using Win 7.

Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com wrote:
> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
> a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
> Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
> something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
> calculation. I'm using Win 7.

-----------------Demo.vbs----------------
MsgBox "Hello, World!"

Useful link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx

Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
--
Crash

Atheism is a matter of faith, too.
From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/10/2010 6:03 AM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
> wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com wrote:
>> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script
>> of a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the
>> file. Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on?
>> Maybe something that simply prints some text or prints the results of
>> a simple calculation. I'm using Win 7.
>
> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>
> Useful link:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>
> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>

> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
watch wrap?

I then went to the first link and found a similar one line piece of
code. I presume that it would work as described, but was surprised to
see that it needs to be done in the command window. Is that generally
how one executes scripts?

I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the script56 chm
file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a Help dialog.
In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the web
canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 8/10/2010 6:03 AM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
>> wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com wrote:
>>> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script
>>> of a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the
>>> file. Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on?
>>> Maybe something that simply prints some text or prints the results of
>>> a simple calculation. I'm using Win 7.
>>
>> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
>> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>>
>> Useful link:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>>
>> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>>

>> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
> OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
> tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
> watch wrap?

The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now if
you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.

From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/10/2010 8:24 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> <wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
>>> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>>>
>>> Useful link:
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>>>

>>> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
>> OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
>> tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
>> watch wrap?
>>

> The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now
> if you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.
Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.