From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/10/2010 4:47 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> <wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>>> VB Script.
>>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>>
>>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>>
>>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>>> the Micorosoft site?
I think I missed this question above. I'm referring to an earlier one by
"Crash".
Useful link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx

Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

I think the last one is the troublesome one.
>> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
>> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like
>> a Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to
>> the web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".
>
> Have a look here - "Ways of getting rid of the warning when opening a
> file":
> http://smallvoid.com/article/ie-attachment-manager.html
> Right-click the blocked file, and select Properties, and on the
> General-tab click Unblock.
>
>> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
>> I don't use Explorer.
>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I
>> couldn't download?

> What .exe file?
Someone above mentioned two exe files. wscript.exe was one I think. Ah,
cscript.
The smallvoid link seems to apply to XP. I'm using Win 7.

Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

From: Pegasus [MVP] on
> I think I missed this question above. I'm referring to an earlier one by
> "Crash".
> Useful link:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>
> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

Yes, Script56.chm is the helpfile I also mentioned.

>>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I
>>> couldn't download?
>

>> What .exe file?
> Someone above mentioned two exe files. wscript.exe was one I think. Ah,
> cscript.
> The smallvoid link seems to apply to XP. I'm using Win 7.

I mentioned cscript.exe and wscript.exe. Both exist in the System32 folder.
They do not need to be downloaded or installed or anything - they just work.

From: Al Dunbar on

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> mbyerley wrote:
>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
>>> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
>>
>> Dave,
>> He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
>> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so
>> when he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>>
>> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default
>> setting for file viewing.
>
> Notepad should not append .TXT to known file types like .VBS when
> specified.

I suspect the OP created a text document "new file" and then renamed it as
"test script.vbs". With know filetype extensions hidden, the file looks like
it is named "test script.vbs" when it is actually named "test
script.vbs.txt".

> However, you can always force any file name by enclosing it in double
> quotes.
>
> "testscript.vbs"

True, but for the times one forgets, I think it is more helpful to disable
the filetype hiding feature.

/Al

From: Todd Vargo on
Al Dunbar wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>> mbyerley wrote:
>>>
>>> Dave,
>>> He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
>>> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so
>>> when he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>>>
>>> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default
>>> setting for file viewing.
>>
>> Notepad should not append .TXT to known file types like .VBS when
>> specified.
>
> I suspect the OP created a text document "new file" and then renamed it as
> "test script.vbs". With know filetype extensions hidden, the file looks
> like it is named "test script.vbs" when it is actually named "test
> script.vbs.txt".
>
>> However, you can always force any file name by enclosing it in double
>> quotes.
>>
>> "testscript.vbs"
>
> True, but for the times one forgets, I think it is more helpful to disable
> the filetype hiding feature.

I suspect you missed OP's post that said, "Selecting Properties worked. A
choice for MS script came up, and
selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it." AFAIK, WSH
will not run a file with a .txt extension without some registry tweaking (at
least in Win9x and XP).

I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do on
any machine I have control.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)