From: Mayayana on
> Which version of VB do you plan to use?

I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.
-----------

VB 5/6 and VB.Net are two completely
different things. 2010 will not be an "upgrade"
but rather a transition from a RAD COM-centric
system for writing compiled software to a Java
clone, writing JIT-compiled software that runs on
top of a VM. (The .Net Framework)

Microsoft has had groups for VB and VB.Net, but
they are closing down their Usenet server. If you
want to continue to use Usenet, the VB.Net group is
here:

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

This is one of several free servers you can use to access
the group:

http://eternal-september.org/

If you want to use the MS web forums, as Microsoft
would like you to do, see here for your options:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

From: Nobody on
"techman41973" <techman41973(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.

Your VB6 code cannot be converted to VB 2002 or after. It often requires a
rewrite to make it work in the new language. If you decide to use VB 2010,
then you better ask in the following group, as many in this group use VB 5
or 6(VB Classic). There are two or three here who are familiar with .Nxt,
but it's better to ask in a group dedicated to the language, so you get many
inputs, and corrections to inputs, which you are less likely to get here.

You have to decide now which one to use. VB6 programs would run on Windows
95 and after, and use less resources. Dotnet based VB(2002 and after),
require Dotnet runtime, which may or may not be present in older
systems(2000/XP). VB 2005 and after programs require Windows 2000 or above
to run, and .Net v 2.0 minimum, which is a large download if need to be
installed. I think it's part of Vista and after, but I am not sure.

If you want to use VB6, see the IP Helper API. GetAdaptersInfo() is what you
need. See this VB6 sample:

http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/network/getadaptersinfo-localipaddresses.htm

This site is for VB6 code only, despite its name.

See also these functions:

InternetGetConnectedState
InternetGetConnectedStateEx
InternetCheckConnection
InternetHangUp

As for terminating programs, you send WM_CLOSE to the application main
window, but this will not always work. In that case, terminating the process
works all the time. Search the web for "FindWindowLike" and "vb -dotnet
TerminateProcess".

From: Larry Serflaten on

"techman41973" <techman41973(a)yahoo.com> wrote

> > Which version of VB do you plan to use?

> I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.

Then plan on spending the following 6 weeks getting up to speed in the
'new' language...

<g>
LFS

From: Kevin Provance on

"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
:
: Then plan on spending the following 6 weeks getting up to speed in the
: 'new' language...

An optimistic appraisal. <g>

Six weeks, provided he has no interruptions, no job, no kids, any desire to
eat or sleep...and has an intimate understanding of programming, then maybe
six weeks. Otherwise three months, IF he knows his stuff.

From: Tom Shelton on
Kevin Provance explained :
> "Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Then plan on spending the following 6 weeks getting up to speed in the
>> 'new' language...
>
> An optimistic appraisal. <g>
>
> Six weeks, provided he has no interruptions, no job, no kids, any desire to
> eat or sleep...and has an intimate understanding of programming, then maybe
> six weeks. Otherwise three months, IF he knows his stuff.

That's a complete exageration, IF he knows his stuff. Larry, is a bit
closer to the truth, if you include getting a good working knowledge of
the .NET framework. As for language syntax - if he know his stuff he
already knows about 90%. The rest are the differences. He should be
productive inside of a week....

I've jumped languages many times - and, in less then a day I'm usually
doing something useful, so I don't see why this should be any different
for someone with more then half a brain... Hell, today I was adding
new methods and fixing bugs in someone elses action script code - and I
have never written a single thing in it before.... If you know how to
program, moving languages is not that big a deal.

--
Tom Shelton