From: techman41973 on
I have a Verizonn wireless data card for my laptop. Verizon imposes a
strict limit of 5GB each month.
While 5GB seems ample enough, one can quickly burn through this with
automatic
software updates, Itunes podcast subscriptions and automatic data
backup services (like Carbonite).

I'd like to create a Visual basic program that could sense when I'm
connect to the internet
via my Verizon card and shut down specific applications (Windows 7
environment), and when I resume internet connection via WIFI
to re-launch the applications that were shut down. This leads me to
two programming issues.

#1 How can my program know I'm connecting to the internet via my
Verizon card.
One idea is to detect the IP address I'm connecting to the internet
with.
Is there any way to sense this IP address from inside a visual basic
program?

#2. How can I shut down individual applications running in Windows 7
from inside a visual basic program?
Must I have to resort to killing individual processes? How is this
done.

Thanks
From: Nobody on
Which version of VB do you plan to use?

From: techman41973 on
On Aug 9, 7:31 pm, "Nobody" <nob...(a)nobody.com> wrote:
> Which version of VB do you plan to use?

I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.
From: Tom Shelton on
on 8/9/2010, techman41973 supposed :
> On Aug 9, 7:31�pm, "Nobody" <nob...(a)nobody.com> wrote:
>> Which version of VB do you plan to use?
>
> I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.

When you upgrade to 2010 - you will probably want to take a look at the
System.Net.NetworkInformation and System.Diagnostics namespaces. The
former will allow you to gather various information about the network
adapters as well as other network statistics. The latter, has various
classes for dealing with processes.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Phill W. on
On 10/08/2010 04:23, techman41973 wrote:
> On Aug 9, 7:31 pm, "Nobody"<nob...(a)nobody.com> wrote:
>> Which version of VB do you plan to use?
>
> I've been using 6, but hope to upgrade to 2010 in the next few weeks.

It's been said before but I'll say it again anyway ...

Going from '6 to '2010 is /not/ an upgrade.
Visual Basic 2010 is a whole new language. OK, it's derived from BASIC,
as was VB 6, and it uses many of the keywords that you know and love.
However, your existing code will not run [well] when ported to '2010
without extensive modification; in all honesty, you're probably looking
at a complete re-write. 2010's Upgrade Wizard is [probably] about the
best yet (the ones with '2003 and '2005 were a complete waste of time,
IMHO) but it still won't generate the same kind of code that you'd write
from scratch these days.

It's a whole new language, based on a completely new architecture; you
have to learn both to more forward effectively.

If you're that way inclined, think of Evolution: The Neanderthals
represent VB 1..6, world beaters in their day, but completely overrun
and driven into extinction by Early Modern Humans and the rest - Visual
Basic and the other .Net languages.

Regards,
Phill W.