From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
> I agree with you on that one. He will be well advised to leave Micro$oft
> altogether because they are liars and they simply cannot be trusted.

Microsoft made it difficult to move over from VB6 to VB.net - why should one
believe that next time it would be easy to move over to the next 'basic'
language they want to sell?

Before learning vb dot net I would have a look to other companies' products.
In Germany we say 'other mothers have pretty daughters, too'.

From: MM on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:33:13 -0600, "Alex Clark"
<quanta(a)noemail.noemail> wrote:

> A leap from QBasic to VB6 would be like going from horse-drawn to
>steam powered

Is this steam powered? http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/

I'd say it works fine - on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista
and Windows 7. Give me a call in ten years if you find a newer
operating system on which it *doesn't* work...

MM
From: MM on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:45:03 +0100, "Horst Heinrich Dittgens"
<hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote:

>> I agree with you on that one. He will be well advised to leave Micro$oft
>> altogether because they are liars and they simply cannot be trusted.
>
>Microsoft made it difficult to move over from VB6 to VB.net - why should one
>believe that next time it would be easy to move over to the next 'basic'
>language they want to sell?
>
>Before learning vb dot net I would have a look to other companies' products.
>In Germany we say 'other mothers have pretty daughters, too'.

Yeah, but in Germany, most daughters are pretty! Many mothers, too.
Not like the army of Waynetta Slobs you see in England.

MM
From: MikeD on

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm an old school QuickBasic programmer with hundreds of programs that
> will not work on my new 64-bit computer. In the past, I've used VB5
> only when QB won't do it (e.g. mouse support). Now I'm about to re-
> write my programs in VB before my old computer bytes the dust.
>
> Should I upgrade to VB6? Should I learn VB.NET? Where can I find VB6
> features not available in VB5? Googling, "VISUAL BASIC 5 6
> DIFFERENCES" didn't work.

Below is a link to VB6's documentation. See the various "What's New in..."
topics. These describe in pretty good detail what was added to VB6 from VB5.
Some of the new features are very nice indeed. But when you get down to it,
anything you can write with VB6 you can also write with VB5.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd430246.aspx

One thing to note, however, is that if you plan to distribute the apps you
write to others, you might be better off with VB6. This is because the VB6
runtime file (msvbvm60.dll) is included with the OS whereas the VB5 runtime
(msvbvm50.dll) is not (it was included with Win2000 and I think Win98, but
no version of Windows afterwards). That just means if you go with VB5, you
must include the runtime files in your distribution setup package and
properly install them since users are not as likely to have them. A legal
copy of VB6 could be somewhat difficult to find because it's no longer
supported and has been out of production for quite some time now. You CAN
still find it though if you look. eBay is probably your best shot. Just be
careful that what you're buying is a legal copy and is not pirated.

As far a whether you should learn a different language? Only you can make
that decision. I personally don't like .NET in general and VB.NET
specifically. But if you want to give it a try, download the VB2008 Express
Edition (or even C# for that matter) from Microsoft, which is free. This
will allow you to try it and make up your own mind about it.

--
Mike

From: David Kaye on
NadCixelsyd <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote:

>I'm an old school QuickBasic programmer with hundreds of programs that
>will not work on my new 64-bit computer. In the past, I've used VB5
>only when QB won't do it (e.g. mouse support). Now I'm about to re-
>write my programs in VB before my old computer bytes the dust.

I'd stick with VB5 or VB6. Just take the QB code and save it as a *.bas
module. When you see it the syntax errors will immediately be flagged in red.
Nearly all of these are input/output routines. VB will work with line
numbers so you don't even need to change those if you have them.

I took a sunrise/sunset program and converted it to a VB module. It took me
about 20 minutes.