From: NadCixelsyd on
I'm an old school QuickBasic programmer with hundreds of programs that
will not work on my new 64-bit computer. In the past, I've used VB5
only when QB won't do it (e.g. mouse support). Now I'm about to re-
write my programs in VB before my old computer bytes the dust.

Should I upgrade to VB6? Should I learn VB.NET? Where can I find VB6
features not available in VB5? Googling, "VISUAL BASIC 5 6
DIFFERENCES" didn't work.
From: Bob Butler on

"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm an old school QuickBasic programmer with hundreds of programs that
> will not work on my new 64-bit computer. In the past, I've used VB5
> only when QB won't do it (e.g. mouse support). Now I'm about to re-
> write my programs in VB before my old computer bytes the dust.
>
> Should I upgrade to VB6?

VB6 is a minimal upgrade over VB5... it's adds some functions like Split and
the ability to return typed arrays from procedures but overall it's notthat
different.

> Should I learn VB.NET?

VB.Net is a very different language that, IMO, has little in common with VB.
If I were going to go to dotnet, which I certainly will never do willingly,
I'd go to C# but that's a personal call. If you want to leave VB I'd look
at Delphi or other development tools. MS can not be trusted.

> Where can I find VB6
> features not available in VB5? Googling, "VISUAL BASIC 5 6
> DIFFERENCES" didn't work.

try "vb5 vb6 differences"

From: mayayana on
If you go with VB5 you might find this
site interesting. It has some alternate
functions for VB6-only methods:

http://www.xbeat.net/vbspeed/

From: Alex Clark on
"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm an old school QuickBasic programmer with hundreds of programs that
> will not work on my new 64-bit computer. In the past, I've used VB5
> only when QB won't do it (e.g. mouse support). Now I'm about to re-
> write my programs in VB before my old computer bytes the dust.
>
> Should I upgrade to VB6? Should I learn VB.NET? Where can I find VB6
> features not available in VB5? Googling, "VISUAL BASIC 5 6
> DIFFERENCES" didn't work.

The differences between VB5 & VB6 are minimal, VB6 was more of a patch than
an upgrade really. The ability to return arrays from functions and public
variables in Forms were two "standout" features, if you can call them that,
but basically it was the same.

> Should I learn VB.NET?

That's a choice you have to make yourself, but I would recommend learning
about .NET first before making it. Personally if you feel it ncessary to
learn a new language, I would bypass VB6 and go for a modern, supported
language. A leap from QBasic to VB6 would be like going from horse-drawn to
steam powered - a slightly newer, but still very outdated technology with no
support or chance of future development from its creator.

If you want to learn a modern, relevant language with BASIC syntax, then I
would recommend VB.NET. If you're in it to get a job, arguably C# pays
better. If you're happy to leave BASIC and Microsoft altogether, then the
choices available to you are fairly huge :-)

Good luck,
Alex Clark

From: Mike Williams on
"Alex Clark" <quanta(a)noemail.noemail> wrote in message

> If you want to learn a modern, relevant language with
> BASIC syntax, then I would recommend VB.NET.

Well of course you would recommend that, because you are a dotnet
evangelist. The fact is that VB.Net is as much like BASIC as chalk is like
cheese and moving to VB.Net is no easier than moving to any other completely
different language, and if he does make that move he will one day cause him
to be truly sorry he did so. Best get away from Micro$oft products
altogether.

> If you're happy to leave BASIC and Microsoft altogether,
> then the choices available to you are fairly huge :-)

I agree with you on that one. He will be well advised to leave Micro$oft
altogether because they are liars and they simply cannot be trusted. There
are lots of other options.

Mike