From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
> Surely you jest! French food is disgusting!

Because it's not coming out of a tube <bg> ?
From: MM on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:05:03 -0600, "Ralph"
<nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Since I started using registration-free COM with a manifest file I
>> don't envisage ever needing to do a "traditional" installation ever
>> again. Simply copy the files to a new or existing folder, create a
>> shortcut, and off it goes!
>>
>> MM http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/index.html
>
>I have to add an endorsement to this advice, especially for those not
>targeting an enterprise/corporate environment (ie, little control or
>knowledge of the target).
>
>I didn't particularly care for it in the beginning. I liked the old-time
>COM - "What was good enough for VB4 was good enough for me." <g>
>
>But for those commited to releasing in the wild I can see now it makes a lot
>of sense, and deserves a closer look.
>
>-ralph

And it still gives me a real buzz to see my app running off a CD-ROM
or DVD! Who would have thunk it a few years ago? Whack in a CD with a
VB proggie on it and it runs straight off the bat? Bloody marvellous!
Or put the app on a USB stick, walk to a different PC and plug it in.
Bingo! This should have been the way to go right from the start of
Windows, not have to invest hundreds of bucks (pounds, euros) in one
of the, often incomprehensible, installation package builders.

MM
From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
> it still gives me a real buzz to see my app running off a CD-ROM
> or DVD!

Well, this does convince me immediately.

But shame to me, even writing Basic apps for years I never did work with
manifests as you wrote above (it simply did work for me without that). Where
can I learn more about how to use manifest files for registration free use
of components (don't say read online help - that's what I always tell my
clients <bg>)?

From: Mike Williams on

"Horst Heinrich Dittgens" <hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote in message

> [regarding running from CD / USB memory stick etc]
> Well, this does convince me immediately. But shame to
> me, even writing Basic apps for years I never did work
> with manifests (it simply did work for me without that).

That'll probably because your programs did not happen to use things that
would otherwise need to be registered.

> Where can I learn more about how to use manifest files
> for registration free use of components (don't say read
> online help - that's what I always tell my clients <bg>)?

The best place to start is here . . .

http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/

.. . . where you'll be able to download the latest version of the "Make My
Manifest" program, which is excellent. The download contains all the
information you'll need to get started, but essentially all you need to do
is point MMM at one of your VB projects and it will analyze it and create
the required manifest for you, either as a separate manifest file or
embedded into your compiled VB exe file, whichever you choose.

Mike

From: MM on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:05:48 +0100, "Horst Heinrich Dittgens"
<hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote:

>> it still gives me a real buzz to see my app running off a CD-ROM
>> or DVD!
>
>Well, this does convince me immediately.
>
>But shame to me, even writing Basic apps for years I never did work with
>manifests as you wrote above (it simply did work for me without that). Where
>can I learn more about how to use manifest files for registration free use
>of components (don't say read online help - that's what I always tell my
>clients <bg>)?

Go here: http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/

It's the web site for Make My Manifest, which provides a free tool to
create a manifest from your VB6 project file. Sehr einfach!

MM