From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
> One thing to note, however, is that if you plan to distribute the apps you
> write to others, you might be better off with VB6. This is because the VB6
> runtime file (msvbvm60.dll) is included with the OS whereas the VB5
> runtime (msvbvm50.dll) is not (it was included with Win2000 and I think
> Win98, but no version of Windows afterwards). That just means if you go
> with VB5, you must include the runtime files in your distribution setup
> package and properly install them since users are not as likely to have
> them. A legal copy of VB6 could be somewhat difficult to find because
> it's no longer supported and has been out of production for quite some
> time now. You CAN still find it though if you look. eBay is probably your
> best shot. Just be careful that what you're buying is a legal copy and is
> not pirated.

I always wonder why it's such a big disussion about VB runtimes to be
included or not in a future OS version. If one writes a userfriendly
application he will have to add some other components and therefore have to
build a setup file, which is very easy to do using VB's on board setup tool.
Usually free disk space on the installation CD or DVD is not a problem, so
what?

From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
> Not like the army of Waynetta Slobs you see in England.

Maybe this comes from the eating there?

I just wonder all the time why the occupied for a long time huge parts of
France without getting out the most important from there, fine eating <bg>.

From: MM on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:02:52 +0100, "Horst Heinrich Dittgens"
<hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote:

>> One thing to note, however, is that if you plan to distribute the apps you
>> write to others, you might be better off with VB6. This is because the VB6
>> runtime file (msvbvm60.dll) is included with the OS whereas the VB5
>> runtime (msvbvm50.dll) is not (it was included with Win2000 and I think
>> Win98, but no version of Windows afterwards). That just means if you go
>> with VB5, you must include the runtime files in your distribution setup
>> package and properly install them since users are not as likely to have
>> them. A legal copy of VB6 could be somewhat difficult to find because
>> it's no longer supported and has been out of production for quite some
>> time now. You CAN still find it though if you look. eBay is probably your
>> best shot. Just be careful that what you're buying is a legal copy and is
>> not pirated.
>
>I always wonder why it's such a big disussion about VB runtimes to be
>included or not in a future OS version. If one writes a userfriendly
>application he will have to add some other components and therefore have to
>build a setup file, which is very easy to do using VB's on board setup tool.
>Usually free disk space on the installation CD or DVD is not a problem, so
>what?

Since I started using registration-free COM with a manifest file I
don't envisage ever needing to do a "traditional" installation ever
again. Simply copy the files to a new or existing folder, create a
shortcut, and off it goes!

MM http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/index.html
From: Mike Williams on

"Horst Heinrich Dittgens" <hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote in message

> I just wonder all the time why the occupied for a long time huge
> parts of France without getting out the most important from there,
> fine eating <bg>.

Surely you jest! French food is disgusting!

Mike

From: Ralph on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Since I started using registration-free COM with a manifest file I
> don't envisage ever needing to do a "traditional" installation ever
> again. Simply copy the files to a new or existing folder, create a
> shortcut, and off it goes!
>
> MM http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/index.html

I have to add an endorsement to this advice, especially for those not
targeting an enterprise/corporate environment (ie, little control or
knowledge of the target).

I didn't particularly care for it in the beginning. I liked the old-time
COM - "What was good enough for VB4 was good enough for me." <g>

But for those commited to releasing in the wild I can see now it makes a lot
of sense, and deserves a closer look.

-ralph