From: Alistair on

Pete Dashwood wrote:

> I still can't see much point in going to all the trouble of disassembling
> code ifyou have the source. If you DON'T have the source, then disassembling
> it is really not going to help much... Maybe, if it is absolutely Mission
> Critical code and you really MUST amend it. Personally I wouldn't. I'd take
> the opportunitiy to rewrite it. But then, in my case it would be component
> based and I don't NEED the source anyway :-).
>
> Pete.

I may be misleading you slightly. The program that source-recovery.com
uses reconstitutes the cobol code from the executable (disassembles
first then pattern matches for code equivalent to assembled cobol
verbs). If you have the fd then they use that to give "meaningful" data
names to items ('Pete the delete' was well known for using PH1 and PH2
as variable names, being his initials).

As for not needing the source if, as a new boy, you were asked to use a
pre-existing component to provide a certain function, how would you
know with what parameters to invoke it? unless you had perfect
documentation (of which source code is the prime example).

From: Keith Lowe on

http://patents.nimblewisdom.com/patent/5946484-Method-of-recovering-source-code-from-object-code

> > It's a patent issued in 1999 by the USPTO for a disassembler, which
> > wasn't a
> > new concept back then (I've written my first disassembler in 1982).
>

> > The problem is that the language of patents is so arcane that it's
> > difficult
> > to spot the original elements of this patent, or if there's any
> > originality
> > in it at all. Hopefully, one of you will dig something up.
>

> It appears to be more than just a dissassembler, based on the generated
>
> assembly code it looks for known patterns charateristic of the IBM
> Cobol
> compiler and attempts to symthesize the Cobol source, as nearly as I
> can
> tell in 5 minutes. But this has been done for many years, I am not
> sure
> what is novel here.
>
> </QUOTE>
>
> Perhaps there will soon be an answer to the perennial "Where can I find
> a cobol disassembler?"

Apologies if this is an obvious question.... but where can I find a cobol
disassembler ? I've read the instructions and I am none the wiser !!!

Keith

From: Michael Mattias on
"Peter Lacey" <lacey(a)mts.net> wrote in message
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>
> > Ah, the joys of maintaining source... :-)
>
> Don't start that again! It isn't every shop that has the luxury of no
> inherited programs. Are you also saying that compiled objects never get
> lost?????

Worse: The source code in the 'official, sacred, controlled' archive is NOT
the source code for the compiled program.

I think I'd rather start over than discover that the hard way. (again).

MCM

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:00:10 -0600, Peter Lacey <lacey(a)mts.net> wrote:

>Don't start that again! It isn't every shop that has the luxury of no
>inherited programs. Are you also saying that compiled objects never get
>lost?????

We're moving towards a Java environment for much of our code. I went
to modify a method and first did a search to determine where the code
was copied - and found 161 copies of a file which I had created, which
was copied by the trunk and branches and a bunch of places that I
don't get. I'm told not to worry about it, but that's hard from my
background.

The code in these are not all the same.

Vernor Vinge has a SF novel which includes people working as software
archeologists, digging down through systems trying to clean up
thousands of years of interactions.
From: Oliver Wong on

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:00:10 -0600, Peter Lacey <lacey(a)mts.net> wrote:
>
>>Don't start that again! It isn't every shop that has the luxury of no
>>inherited programs. Are you also saying that compiled objects never get
>>lost?????
>
> We're moving towards a Java environment for much of our code. I went
> to modify a method and first did a search to determine where the code
> was copied - and found 161 copies of a file which I had created, which
> was copied by the trunk and branches and a bunch of places that I
> don't get. I'm told not to worry about it, but that's hard from my
> background.
>
> The code in these are not all the same.

Sounds like you're using a source version control system. These systems
keep a copy of every version of the source code you've written. So if you've
comitted 100 changes to the files, they'll be 100 copies of the file lying
around[*]. "Branch" and "Trunk" are terms frequently used in such system.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_%28software%29

- Oliver

[*] Actually, in practice, various compression mechanisms are used. For
example, one "master copy" might get stored, and the other 99 files just
describe the deviations from the master copy or from each other, rather than
containing the whole file verbatim.