From: CG on
Oliver Wong wrote:

> "CG" <carl.gehr.RemoveThis(a)ThisToo.attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Again, I think you are missing the point of this... There is NO
>> ASSEMBLER involved. The process goes from MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS to
>> COBOL SOURCE CODE. No need for the customer/user/programmer to have
>> any knowledge of Assembler at all.
>>
>> If you prefer, call it a DisCOBOLER instead of a DisASSEMBLER.
>
> I think the term traditionally used is "decompiler".

Yeh! I thought about that, but Pete seemed so hung up on the specific
language, that seemed more to the point.
CG
From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:24:13 -0500, CG
<carl.gehr.RemoveThis(a)ThisToo.attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> If you prefer, call it a DisCOBOLER instead of a DisASSEMBLER.
>>
>> I think the term traditionally used is "decompiler".
>
>Yeh! I thought about that, but Pete seemed so hung up on the specific
>language, that seemed more to the point.

I suppose you could decompile code into just about any language you
want. The more optimized the code, the more useless the decompiled
results.
From: William M. Klein on
Keith,
Just in case it got lost in the thread, to the best of my knowledge the
Source-Recovery products/services/whatever are limited to IBM mainframe COBOL.
If you are working in another environment / with another compiler, I am not
certain (actually I doubt) they can help you. If you ARE in an IBM mainframe
environment, I have heard VERY GOOD reports on what they can do.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Michael Mattias" <michael.mattias(a)gte.net> wrote in message

> "Peter Lacey" <lacey(a)mts.net> wrote in message
>> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>
>> > Ah, the joys of maintaining source... :-)
>>
>> Don't start that again! It isn't every shop that has the luxury of no
>> inherited programs. Are you also saying that compiled objects never get
>> lost?????
>
> Worse: The source code in the 'official, sacred, controlled' archive is
> NOT
> the source code for the compiled program.
>
> I think I'd rather start over than discover that the hard way. (again).
>
> MCM

I agree. That's why I'm advocating NOT mantaining source code. It is a
highly error prone process that causes more harm than it heals...

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:00:10 -0600, Peter Lacey <lacey(a)mts.net> wrote:
>
>>Don't start that again! It isn't every shop that has the luxury of no
>>inherited programs. Are you also saying that compiled objects never get
>>lost?????
>
> We're moving towards a Java environment for much of our code. I went
> to modify a method and first did a search to determine where the code
> was copied - and found 161 copies of a file which I had created, which
> was copied by the trunk and branches and a bunch of places that I
> don't get. I'm told not to worry about it, but that's hard from my
> background.

I agree, and like you, I'd be worryig about it too. It would appaear some
severe source control is required.

> The code in these are not all the same.
>
> Vernor Vinge has a SF novel which includes people working as software
> archeologists, digging down through systems trying to clean up
> thousands of years of interactions.

I'd like to read that! :-)

Pete.