From: Alistair on

Pete Dashwood wrote:
> <ozzy.kopec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Pete Dashwood wrote:
>
> I can think of at least two separate sites (and a number of occasions on
> both of them) where we were very glad to have source recreated from listings
> after decks of cards got shredded or minced in various readers or were
> destroyed by water after a storm where part of the roof was removed...
>
> Maybe your bud's Boss was an oldtimer like me :-)
>
> Pete.

I worked in a place where an operator dropped a whole tray of punched
jcl cards (and successfully mixed them quicker than a poker dealer
could have done). No wonder we moved from ICCF to VM/CMS sharpish.

From: Oliver Wong on
"Alistair" <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Are these help files an integral part of the system or are they
> something that you have to buy-in as an add-on? I only ask coz I'm
> ignorant in OO.

I'd feel ripped off if I payed for an OO component, took it for a spin,
and then found out that I had to pay extra for the documentation.

In the case of Java, Sun gives the code library away for free, and gives
the documentation away for free as well (it's accessible at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/)

JFreeChart is a library for drawing charts and graphs. The library
itself is free (with source code included), but you have to pay for the
documentation. You can pour through the source code and try to figure out
how to use the components yourself, which is the approach I've been using
for my projects which used JFreeChart.

Any business model is possible, of course, and I don't mind if you have
to pay for the component and the documentation seperately, as long as that
is made clear from the start. What I was complaining about earlier is paying
for the component, and then mistakenly thinking you've got everything
included.

- Oliver

From: on
In article <1141137619.797762.312570(a)u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Pete Dashwood wrote:
>> <ozzy.kopec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>
>> I can think of at least two separate sites (and a number of occasions on
>> both of them) where we were very glad to have source recreated from listings
>> after decks of cards got shredded or minced in various readers or were
>> destroyed by water after a storm where part of the roof was removed...
>>
>> Maybe your bud's Boss was an oldtimer like me :-)
>
>I worked in a place where an operator dropped a whole tray of punched
>jcl cards (and successfully mixed them quicker than a poker dealer
>could have done).

Oh, I *cannot* resist...

000100 AND WITH THESE AND OTHER INSTANCES IN MIND WE SHOULD, THEREFORE,
000200 MAKE SURE THAT ALL CODE IS BACKWARDSLY-COMPATIBLE WITH SUCH
000300 LIMITATIONS... JUST BECAUSE I HAVEN'T WORKED WITH A PUNCHED DECK
000400 IN DECADES IS NO REASON NOT TO 'JUST IN CASE' THINGS, RIGHT?

DD

From: Oliver Wong on

> I worked in a place where an operator dropped a whole tray of punched
> jcl cards (and successfully mixed them quicker than a poker dealer
> could have done). No wonder we moved from ICCF to VM/CMS sharpish.

A friend of mine was told me a similar story:

<quote>
My dad was working in the "computing department" of a major Canadian company
back when punch cards were still en vogue.

He was driving a pick-up truck with a co-worker down a steep hill street in
Montreal when, stopped at a light, he was struck from behind by a tow truck.

Back in those days nobody wore seatbelts and somehow he broke a leg.
Needless to say the punch cards in the back exploded allover the
intersection.

So my dad, with a broken leg and a secretary helping him, crawled around the
intersection tryring to reorder the 5 000 or so punch cards that represented
the compny's payroll program for that month.

You can imagine what the ambulance driver, who didn't even know what punch
cards were, said to him when he arrived.
</quote>

- Oliver

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:48:50 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>>I worked in a place where an operator dropped a whole tray of punched
>>jcl cards (and successfully mixed them quicker than a poker dealer
>>could have done).
>
>Oh, I *cannot* resist...
>
>000100 AND WITH THESE AND OTHER INSTANCES IN MIND WE SHOULD, THEREFORE,
>000200 MAKE SURE THAT ALL CODE IS BACKWARDSLY-COMPATIBLE WITH SUCH
>000300 LIMITATIONS... JUST BECAUSE I HAVEN'T WORKED WITH A PUNCHED DECK
>000400 IN DECADES IS NO REASON NOT TO 'JUST IN CASE' THINGS, RIGHT?

Belts and suspenders. Put sequence numbers in columns 1-6 and in
73-80 just to be safe. You never know when you might spill your
hard drive.