From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> does it matter whether they have a discrete video card or if
> the graphics are integrated with the motherboard?

Not in the slightest, especially if they never plan to do any gaming at all.
(The integrated graphics will do perfectly well with lighweight gaming
needs, including most web based games.)

Save them the money and put it somewhere else, like on more installed RAM or
a slightly faster processor.

> Does it make a difference if the PC needs to last 5+ years?

If anything, integrated graphics are more up to that than are dedicated
graphics cards. Although I think things are improving, dedicated graphics
cards can consume a frightening amount of power, be dependent upon fans to
avoid burning up (sometimes in a spectacular way!) and eventually heat gets
them anyway.

Integrated graphics are still largely passively cooled, and it does make a
difference in their longevity.

William

From: Just me on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:37:06 -0500, "William R. Walsh"
<newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> does it matter whether they have a discrete video card or if
>> the graphics are integrated with the motherboard?
>
>Not in the slightest, especially if they never plan to do any gaming at all.
>(The integrated graphics will do perfectly well with lighweight gaming
>needs, including most web based games.)
>
>Save them the money and put it somewhere else, like on more installed RAM or
>a slightly faster processor.
>
>> Does it make a difference if the PC needs to last 5+ years?
>
>If anything, integrated graphics are more up to that than are dedicated
>graphics cards. Although I think things are improving, dedicated graphics
>cards can consume a frightening amount of power, be dependent upon fans to
>avoid burning up (sometimes in a spectacular way!) and eventually heat gets
>them anyway.
>
>Integrated graphics are still largely passively cooled, and it does make a
>difference in their longevity.
>
>William

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply!

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net