From: Daddy on
I think we can agree that I have beaten the life out of this topic, so
this is the last you'll hear from me about it.

In February, 2010, Dell issued a notice through its technical knowledge
base that it will no longer include a Windows 7 disc (or a Drivers and
Utilities disc) with its computers. No 'cut-off date' was specified,
after which time the shipment of Windows discs would stop; nor was there
mention of whether the policy would apply to all divisions (e.g., Home,
Small Business, possibly others.)

I ordered my Studio XPS 8100 shortly after this proclamation was issued,
and pressed my rep - politely - to include a Windows 7 disc (as well as
a D&U disc) with my computer.

My rep didn't know about Dell's new policy until I told her about it. In
fact, none of the reps I spoke with had heard about this new policy.
(You never get to talk with your original rep after that first time;
whenever you call they're always busy so you end up talking to someone
else.)

When my computer arrived, lo and behold, it had a Windows 7 disc (and a
D&U disc and discs for McAfee and MS Works.)

The same day my computer arrived I heard back from rep #3, who told me
that my request for a Windows disc caused a minor brouhaha at head
office. It seems that somebody forgot to tell the sales reps about
Dell's new policy. "Improving our internal communication is a goal for
Dell this year," he wrote. You bet.

Nonetheless, the policy is official, and now that everyone has
(supposedly) been told about it, the policy will go into effect during
the middle of March. He didn't mention whether it applies to all sales
divisions. So get your orders in quickly.

By the way, my new Studio XPS 8100 was perfect right out of the box. No
trouble whatsoever. Let's hope it stays that way.

Daddy
From: John Novicki on
To update also:

Received my Inspiron Zino HD on Thursday (3/11), which did include the
Windows 7 Disc also.

From: Keith on
What is the offical restore process without a disk?

From: MJMIII on
Ctrl+F11 at bootup.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Keith on
I see-so if the hard drive dies, no reinstall?