From: Daddy on
I recently received a new Studio XPS 8100. I opted to keep the C: drive
pretty much as-is, and uninstalled most of the smell-ware that Dell adds.

I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's
diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to simply
use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.

My problem is: I don't really understand the boot process that well. I
believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it possible to
access those hidden partitions (with the right key combination.) If I
delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer unbootable?

Daddy
From: Justin Credible on
Nope, first thing I do on every Dell is run a free utility called CopyWipe.
It'll leave you with 1 partition.

Then you can reinstall Windows frem scratch.

From: RnR on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:19:17 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I recently received a new Studio XPS 8100. I opted to keep the C: drive
>pretty much as-is, and uninstalled most of the smell-ware that Dell adds.
>
>I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's
>diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to simply
>use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.
>
>My problem is: I don't really understand the boot process that well. I
>believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it possible to
>access those hidden partitions (with the right key combination.) If I
>delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer unbootable?
>
>Daddy

Rather than answer directly, let me repeat what I read from another
poster in response to the same question once... why bother because
those partitions are usually fairly small in comparison to the hard
drive and even tho 99.9 % chance you won't use it, for the 1 time you
might need it, it will be there waiting for you. In other words, it
really not necessary to delete it because you won't gain much space in
comparison to your hard drive.

That said, I know Dell used to and may still use some special code to
hide the partition. I once got into it using their code and I think I
learned about it from Google. Anyway I usually use Acronis now to do
my partition work which is usually once a year or two (not often). I
think there's 2 others (software) that are as good or better but their
names escape me right now ... I think at least one of them is free.
From: Brian K on
A friend has an XPS 9000. That's what we did. Deleted his recovery and
diagnostic partitions. He creates his own backup images.

Before you start, check in Disk Management to see if the recovery partition
is the Active, System partition. It was in the 9000 so if you delete it,
Win7 won't boot. You need to copy the booting files from the recovery
partition to the Win7 partition before you delete the recovery partition. It
is a 2 minute job.

Let us know if the recovery partition is Active, System and I'll post a
procedure to copy the booting files.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's
> diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to
> simply use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.

You may want to keep the diags partition, it's only about 3-12MB
depending upon the system. (In other words, you really won't miss it.)

> I believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it
> possible to access those hidden partitions (with the right key
> combination.)

The diagnostics partition is set up for booting by the BIOS. You press
F12 to request the boot menu, the BIOS dutifully displays it and then
sets things up accordingly for a diagnostic boot.

This is actually an old trick borrowed from IBM (and later Compaq).
(Late model IBM PS/2 systems did this, and in some cases, they
actually loaded their working BIOS from this hidden area.) The
diagnostics partition has a customized header so it appears as a "non-
DOS" partition type.

It is the Dell custom MBR (this usually displays a blue line with
"www.dell.com" printed on it) that fires up the recovery process when
you press a key sequence.

> If I delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer
> unbootable?

It's always a possibility. Normally the Dell custom MBR just segues
right into a normal boot if no keys are pressed. I doubt that it
actually checks the state of the recovery partion unless it's
requested.

It's not likely that you will render the system unbootable by removing
partitions with diskpart. Make a backup anyway--it's cheap insurance.

William
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000