From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> Daddy,
>
> We seem to disagree about the MBR. If you are going to keep your Dell
> Utility partition then you need the Dell MBR. (Although I don't have a Dell
> MBR I can boot into the Utility partition with BING). Why do you want to get
> rid of the Dell MBR? I'm curious.
>
> If you don't have the Utility partition it shouldn't matter if you have a
> Dell, a standard or a Win7 MBR. Some computer brands need a Win7 MBR
> although I don't think this applies to Dell.
>
> "Windows 7 has tied the MBR code to the kernel loader such that a normal
> standard MBR may not allow Windows 7 to boot on certain machines."

I think you misunderstand me, my friend. I'm fully aware that the
Diagnostic partition (and the Recovery partition) need Dell's modified
MBR to be accessible. It's only if I was to completely do away with both
those partitions...for example, if I was to remove /all/ partitions and
start with an unpartitioned, formatted hard drive and then restore my
backed-up system and data partitions...in that case a plain vanilla
Windows 7 MBR would work. (At least, that's what I think, and that's the
question I asked in the SP forum.)

Clearly Dell has gone out of its way to make it very difficult to tamper
with its partitions, and this is entirely justified. If I understand
correctly, the MBR is actually located in the Recovery partition, and it
looks to see what's in the keyboard buffer before deciding where to send
the user.

Keep 'em both or nuke 'em both, that's the easy decision. If I want to
keep just one, well, that's do-able but it will take some learning on my
part. So many angles, so many ways to work it. It's something I'll
actually enjoy studying, and when I make my move, I'll publish the results.

Daddy
From: Brian K on

"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

If I understand correctly, the MBR is actually located in the Recovery
partition, and it
> looks to see what's in the keyboard buffer before deciding where to send
> the user.

Ah, I think I understand your concern about the MBR. The MBR is not located
inside any partition. So even if you deleted all partitions from your HD and
manually reinstalled Win7, you would still have a Dell MBR. The MBR is
located in LBA-0. The first sector on the HD. The first partition, the Dell
Utility partition, is typically cylinder aligned and starts at LBA-63. Out
of interest, here is a Dell MBR with the customized Dell boot code outlined.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/dell-mbr-code.gif

And here is a Win7 MBR

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-Win7.gif

And here is a Standard MBR

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-Standard.gif

And here is a BING MBR

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-BING.gif

Don't get me wrong. If you delete both Dell partitions it doesn't matter
which MBR you choose. Your Win7 will still boot. One MBR won't work any
"better or worse" than another. (Except for the issue mentioned in my

From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> "Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> If I understand correctly, the MBR is actually located in the Recovery
> partition, and it
>> looks to see what's in the keyboard buffer before deciding where to send
>> the user.
>

> Ah, I think I understand your concern about the MBR. The MBR is not located
> inside any partition. So even if you deleted all partitions from your HD and
> manually reinstalled Win7, you would still have a Dell MBR. The MBR is
> located in LBA-0. The first sector on the HD. The first partition, the Dell
> Utility partition, is typically cylinder aligned and starts at LBA-63. Out
> of interest, here is a Dell MBR with the customized Dell boot code outlined.
>
> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/dell-mbr-code.gif
>
> And here is a Win7 MBR
>
> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-Win7.gif
>
> And here is a Standard MBR
>
> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-Standard.gif
>
> And here is a BING MBR
>
> http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/MBR-BING.gif
>

> Don't get me wrong. If you delete both Dell partitions it doesn't matter
> which MBR you choose. Your Win7 will still boot. One MBR won't work any
> "better or worse" than another. (Except for the issue mentioned in my

Aha! I think I get it now.

I always thought that the MBR was located at sector 0, and that the
first partition usually starts at sector 63 (the beginning of the second
track).

In Windows 7's Disk Management utility, the Recovery partition is
labeled Boot - among other things - so I thought that Dell somehow
'moved' the MBR into this partition.

Therefore, I reasoned, if I remove the Recovery partition, I won't boot.

Now I don't know why the Recovery partition is labelled Boot, but if the
MBR is still at sector 0, I'll still boot even without the Recovery
partition.

That being the case, do I understand you correctly to say that I can
just delete the Recovery partition (I have it backed up anyway) and I'll
still boot just fine? And I'll still be able to boot into the Diagnostic
partition? The only difference is that if I try to boot to the (absent)
Recovery partition, that nothing will happen?

Daddy
From: Brian K on
Daddy,

Have another look in Disk Management. The Recovery partition is not the Boot
partition. It is the System partition as it contains the booting files. I
know that doesn't sound correct but that's what Microsoft call it. Win7 is
the Boot partition as it contains the Windows folder.

So if you delete the Recovery partition, Win7 won't boot. You will get this
error..

BOOTMGR is missing
Press Control Alt Delete to restart

That's because you have deleted the booting files that were in the Recovery
partition. The procedure I described earlier is to copy the booting files
from the Recovery partition to the Win7 partition. This will allow Win7 to
boot on its own without needing a second partition containing the booting
files.

Does this make sense? Having booting files outside of the Win7 partition is
going to cause problems for some folks when restoring images to a new HD
(say due to a HD failure) as two partitions will need to be restored to
allow Win7 to boot.

From: Brian K on
I omitted....

You can delete the Recovery partition and keep a functioning Utility
partition.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000