From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> How much space do you gain?
>

> About 10 GB. I think the recovery partition is that size.

A progress report:

My preference is to remove the Recovery partition using software with
which I am already familiar, if possible, rather than installing
additional software just for this purpose.

My other preference is to avoid entering unfamiliar commands at a
command prompt.

I have discovered that I can use either of two familiar applications:
EasyBCD (which I used when I was dual-booting) and ShadowProtect Desktop
(one of my backup applications.)

Brian's technique, which uses BING, would work out just fine,
notwithstanding my previously expressed preferences.

Since there's no big rush to get this done, I asked Dell if they would
send me a set of bootable factory restore discs, or failing that, and if
the price is nominal, if they will sell me the Pro version of Dell
DataSafe Local Backup 2.0, which can create bootable discs from the
Recovery partition (as can the free version of DSLB, except that it's
not separately available.) I have a feeling that DSLB may be vaporware,
since no one I have spoken to at Dell has heard of it.

Once I have an answer from Dell, one way or the other, I will finally
'blow away' the Recovery partition. (I have a backup of it.)

It's been a real trip and a great education (thank you, Brian) if you
enjoy learning about this sort of thing, which I do.

Daddy
From: RnR on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:28:36 GMT, "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> How much space do you gain?
>

>About 10 GB. I think the recovery partition is that size.

Thanks. I guess that's worthy of some consideration how to deal with.
Some say not to blow it off but I tend to but then I replace it with
Acronis's way of recovery in it's own hidden partition. To each his
own of course.
From: Tom Lake on
> I have discovered that I can use either of two familiar applications:
> EasyBCD (which I used when I was dual-booting) and ShadowProtect Desktop
> (one of my backup applications.)

Any retail version of Win 7 can do it. Just delete the partitions when you install.
I do that to all our Dell machines and they don't care if the recovery partition
is there or not. Of course, if you restore from the Dell DVDs, you get the recovery
partition back.

Tom Lake
From: Brian K on

> Some say not to blow it off but I tend to but then I replace it with
> Acronis's way of recovery in it's own hidden partition. To each his
> own of course.

Sure. It is a personal choice. The main disadvantage of having any type of
recovery partition on the same HD as the OS is if there is a HD failure, you
lose both.

From: Brian K on

"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> My preference is to remove the Recovery partition using software with
> which I am already familiar,

That certainly reduces the stress level.

I have an old Gateway computer that is used for tests. Pentium 4 1.3 GHz.
It's a little slow but it takes me less than 5 minutes to run the procedure
I posted about removing the system partition and booting back into Win7.

As you mentioned in earlier posts, there are blunt instrument ways to remove
the partition and to get Win7 booting. You can just delete the partition
using a partition app boot disc. (The partition can't be deleted from Disk
Management as it is the System partition). Next, boot from the Win7 DVD and
do two repairs. It is only on the second repair that you get to a menu that
offers "Startup Repair". I don't like this method as it is time consuming.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000