From: Star on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:23:37 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:52:56 GMT, "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I omitted....
>>
>>You can delete the Recovery partition and keep a functioning Utility
>>partition.
>>

>And / or use Acronis to more or less do the same.

Talking about removing partitions with Acronis I assume Disk Director.
Good news bad news time. Acronis Disk Director is at version 10 which
is not compatible with Windows 7 (have tried it.)
I have been a happy user of Acronis both True Image and Disk Director
for many years but am now wondering why 6 to 7 months after the
introduction of Windows 7 they don't have a patch for Ver 10 or an
upgrade to Ver 11.

Art

From: RnR on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:28:15 GMT, "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Some say not to blow it off but I tend to but then I replace it with
>> Acronis's way of recovery in it's own hidden partition. To each his
>> own of course.
>
>Sure. It is a personal choice. The main disadvantage of having any type of
>recovery partition on the same HD as the OS is if there is a HD failure, you
>lose both.

Excellent point !! Which is why I make a backup on an external
drive too. I've thought of even doing it on 2 externals but I haven't
done that yet. Sounds like you know your stuff :)
From: RnR on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:19:00 +1000, Star@*.* wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:23:37 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:52:56 GMT, "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I omitted....
>>>
>>>You can delete the Recovery partition and keep a functioning Utility
>>>partition.
>>>

>>And / or use Acronis to more or less do the same.
>
>Talking about removing partitions with Acronis I assume Disk Director.
>Good news bad news time. Acronis Disk Director is at version 10 which
>is not compatible with Windows 7 (have tried it.)
>I have been a happy user of Acronis both True Image and Disk Director
>for many years but am now wondering why 6 to 7 months after the
>introduction of Windows 7 they don't have a patch for Ver 10 or an
>upgrade to Ver 11.
>
>Art

Appreciate that info. I haven't changed my main OS to win7 so I was
unaware of this. I will keep my eyes open for this when / if I
change over. May have to consider a replacement for TI and DD.
Thanks Art for the info.
From: Star on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:28:34 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:19:00 +1000, Star@*.* wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:23:37 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>>And / or use Acronis to more or less do the same.
>>
>>Talking about removing partitions with Acronis I assume Disk Director.
>>Good news bad news time. Acronis Disk Director is at version 10 which
>>is not compatible with Windows 7 (have tried it.)
>>I have been a happy user of Acronis both True Image and Disk Director
>>for many years but am now wondering why 6 to 7 months after the
>>introduction of Windows 7 they don't have a patch for Ver 10 or an
>>upgrade to Ver 11.
>>
>>Art
>

>Appreciate that info. I haven't changed my main OS to win7 so I was
>unaware of this. I will keep my eyes open for this when / if I
>change over. May have to consider a replacement for TI and DD.
>Thanks Art for the info.

Yes good info that I found out by accident. I had DD10 so wanted to
set up a Windows 7 machine about 3 months ago and did the partition of
the HDD and installed Windows 7 and the system would not run after the
first reboot so let Win7 format the partition I created and all went
well. I then found an update to my DD10 and tried to install the
updated version on my Win7 machine and got the "This program is not
compatable with the current windows version" so would not install on
Win7 at all.

Art

From: Daddy on
Daddy wrote:
> I recently received a new Studio XPS 8100. I opted to keep the C: drive
> pretty much as-is, and uninstalled most of the smell-ware that Dell adds.
>
> I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's
> diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to simply
> use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> My problem is: I don't really understand the boot process that well. I
> believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it possible to
> access those hidden partitions (with the right key combination.) If I
> delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer unbootable?
>
> Daddy

As a finale to this story: I used EasyBCD 2.0 (build 90) to reconfigure
my computer to boot from the C: drive. EasyBCD setup a BCD store on C:,
copied the existing BCD entries from the Recovery partition, and made
the C: drive Active. All it took was one click.

As effortless as that was, it took a lot for me to work myself up to
that point.

Windows 7 doesn't have 'blow away' as a context menu selection; I had to
settle for 'Delete'. But my Recovery partition is now gone.

Daddy
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000