From: Brian K on
Daddy,

I didn't realize you were using SP. I saw your post in the forum. What you
have suggested could work because SP can create the missing booting files in
the OS during the restore process. It doesn't matter which MBR you choose.
Dell, WinXP or Win7. The MBR makes no difference to the outcome.

SPT has a procedure in this thread.

http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/forums/p/2556/12260.aspx#12260

From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> Daddy,
>
> I didn't realize you were using SP. I saw your post in the forum. What you
> have suggested could work because SP can create the missing booting files in
> the OS during the restore process. It doesn't matter which MBR you choose.
> Dell, WinXP or Win7. The MBR makes no difference to the outcome.
>
> SPT has a procedure in this thread.
>
> http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/forums/p/2556/12260.aspx#12260

You're a sharp man, Brian.

Daddy
From: Brian K on

Daddy,

Have you taken the plunge yet?

From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> Daddy,
>
> Have you taken the plunge yet?

Not yet. I've been having fun setting up and testing my new computer.

The easiest thing to do is as I originally planned: to simply get rid of
both the Diagnostic partition and the Recovery partition, leaving just
the C: drive. (I've already partitioned C: to create a data partition,
but that doesn't matter for this discussion.)

I've come to appreciate the usefulness of the Diagnostic partition. It's
not essential - I have much of the same diagnostics on a disc - but handy.

But if I decide the keep the Diagnostic partition...well, that makes
things more complicated. I can't simply use the generic Windows MBR. Of
course, there are solutions for this; it's just a matter of investing
the time.

Daddy
From: Brian K on
Daddy,

We seem to disagree about the MBR. If you are going to keep your Dell
Utility partition then you need the Dell MBR. (Although I don't have a Dell
MBR I can boot into the Utility partition with BING). Why do you want to get
rid of the Dell MBR? I'm curious.

If you don't have the Utility partition it shouldn't matter if you have a
Dell, a standard or a Win7 MBR. Some computer brands need a Win7 MBR
although I don't think this applies to Dell.

"Windows 7 has tied the MBR code to the kernel loader such that a normal
standard MBR may not allow Windows 7 to boot on certain machines."

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000