From: Daddy on
Brian K wrote:
> Daddy,
>
> Have another look in Disk Management. The Recovery partition is not the Boot
> partition. It is the System partition as it contains the booting files. I
> know that doesn't sound correct but that's what Microsoft call it. Win7 is
> the Boot partition as it contains the Windows folder.
>
> So if you delete the Recovery partition, Win7 won't boot. You will get this
> error..
>
> BOOTMGR is missing
> Press Control Alt Delete to restart
>
> That's because you have deleted the booting files that were in the Recovery
> partition. The procedure I described earlier is to copy the booting files
> from the Recovery partition to the Win7 partition. This will allow Win7 to
> boot on its own without needing a second partition containing the booting
> files.
>
> Does this make sense? Having booting files outside of the Win7 partition is
> going to cause problems for some folks when restoring images to a new HD
> (say due to a HD failure) as two partitions will need to be restored to
> allow Win7 to boot.

Alright now, get ready: Daddy's going to eat crow.

The whole premise behind my original post was my recollection that the
Recovery partition was labeled Boot in Disk Management. On your
suggestion, I checked again.

Guess what I discovered?

So forget all that convoluted stuff about the Master Boot Record; make
like it was an entire season of Dallas.

The key to success in removing the Recovery partition is knowing that
/it/ contains the boot files, and not the C: drive...that's what you've
been trying to tell me all along!

Daddy
From: Brian K on

Dallas was a great series. In its day. I loved JR.

From: RnR on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:49:02 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Brian K wrote:
>> Daddy,
>>
>> Have another look in Disk Management. The Recovery partition is not the Boot
>> partition. It is the System partition as it contains the booting files. I
>> know that doesn't sound correct but that's what Microsoft call it. Win7 is
>> the Boot partition as it contains the Windows folder.
>>
>> So if you delete the Recovery partition, Win7 won't boot. You will get this
>> error..
>>
>> BOOTMGR is missing
>> Press Control Alt Delete to restart
>>
>> That's because you have deleted the booting files that were in the Recovery
>> partition. The procedure I described earlier is to copy the booting files
>> from the Recovery partition to the Win7 partition. This will allow Win7 to
>> boot on its own without needing a second partition containing the booting
>> files.
>>
>> Does this make sense? Having booting files outside of the Win7 partition is
>> going to cause problems for some folks when restoring images to a new HD
>> (say due to a HD failure) as two partitions will need to be restored to
>> allow Win7 to boot.
>>

>Alright now, get ready: Daddy's going to eat crow.
>
>The whole premise behind my original post was my recollection that the
>Recovery partition was labeled Boot in Disk Management. On your
>suggestion, I checked again.
>
>Guess what I discovered?
>
>So forget all that convoluted stuff about the Master Boot Record; make
>like it was an entire season of Dallas.
>
>The key to success in removing the Recovery partition is knowing that
>/it/ contains the boot files, and not the C: drive...that's what you've
>been trying to tell me all along!
>
>Daddy

How much space do you gain?
From: RnR on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:52:56 GMT, "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I omitted....
>
>You can delete the Recovery partition and keep a functioning Utility
>partition.

And / or use Acronis to more or less do the same.
From: Brian K on

"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> How much space do you gain?

About 10 GB. I think the recovery partition is that size.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Last Word - From Me - On The Win7 Disc
Next: XPS 9000