From: Martin Liddle on
In message <UcSdnbLKaNG1JL_UnZ2dnUVZ8qPinZ2d(a)pipex.net>, Sheridan
Hutchinson <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> writes

>After home comparison of several offerings, I'm *still* using Acronis
>Home True Image for backups.

What do you see as the advantages of Acronis?
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 3 Kentmere Way,
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3TW.
From: chris on
Ian Rawlings wrote:
> On 2008-11-18, chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Try partimage which is included on the System Rescue LiveCD:
>> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> Isn't partimage also available under some of the other live CDs like
> Ubuntu? I think it was under Knoppix.
>
> Clonezilla is also supposed to be good, based on partimage.

Probably. I couldn't be sure, but I am with the System Rescue Live CD.
From: T i m on
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:53:38 GMT, Chris Whelan
<cawhelan(a)prejudicentlworld.com> wrote:

>> Ah, ok, the new drive is a Hitachi and the old a Maxtor (not sure that
>> helps does it)? :-(
>>
>> Cheers, T i m
>
>Yes, it helps you!
>
>Maxtor and Seagate are now the same company. The utility they provide to
>do what you need is called Disk Wizard; as long as you have at least one
>drive of either make in the machine, it will work very well indeed.

Excellent, thanks, I've flicked through the users guide and am
downloading the app now.

>It is a cut-down version of software provided by Acronis.

It comes from a good stable then.

FWIW I just tried Ping and Clonezilla. It looked like Ping only dealt
with (partitions but probably does drives as well but didn't play that
long) and actually got to the 'write partition y/n' bit under
Clonezilla when it couldn't because of a file system corruption. So I
wonder if that has been the problem (ie with Ghost) all along? Anyway,
I'm running chkdsk on the drive *again* and will try BART/Ghost or
Clonezilla if that comes up clear.

Failing that I soon should also have DiscWizard soon (90%
downloaded).

Cheers, T i m
From: chris on
T i m wrote:
> FWIW I just tried Ping and Clonezilla. It looked like Ping only dealt
> with (partitions but probably does drives as well but didn't play that
> long) and actually got to the 'write partition y/n' bit under
> Clonezilla when it couldn't because of a file system corruption. So I
> wonder if that has been the problem (ie with Ghost) all along? Anyway,
> I'm running chkdsk on the drive *again* and will try BART/Ghost or
> Clonezilla if that comes up clear.

You do realise that all this faffing around with a failing drive is
likely to shorten its lifespan even further? Do you have a back-up of
the important data on the disk?

A 'dd' copy of the disk will do a block by block copy of the disk
regardless of any filesystem errors. You can then use the copy on a
working drive to try and recover the data without doing more damage.
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
Martin Liddle wrote:
> What do you see as the advantages of Acronis?

In a word, confidence :)

I have a single 1TiB disk with a Truecrypt encrypted Windows partition,
a small ext3 boot partition after that, and finally an encrypted Linux
LVM which logically holds my main Linux partition and it's swap. Grub is
my boot loader and feeds a snapshot I took of the TrueCrypt bootloader
from a small file I keep on the unencrypted ext3 volume (it's the only
way to get an encrypted and LVM and a TrueCrypt encrypted NTFS partition
on one drive).

Given my needs I need a sector-sector backup of this drive to a twin
drive of exactly the same model and size.

Both G4L and CloneZilla both in theory would meet my requirements,
however when I was evaluating G4L it locked up on two occasions! That
pretty much ruled that out. CloneZilla did pass all my tests, but G4L
shook my confidence and I'm as a result not yet ready to make the leap
to CloneZilla.

TrueImage has demonstrated to me time and time again (over a period of 4
years) that it is reliable and I can have confidence in it's ability to
keep the integrity of my data.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson