From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <20081118233308.6f5d90ee(a)folderol.ukfsn.org.ukfsn.org>,
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:02:38 +0000
>chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A 'dd' copy of the disk will do a block by block copy of the disk
>> regardless of any filesystem errors. You can then use the copy on a
>> working drive to try and recover the data without doing more damage.
>
>This may be a silly question, but does dd also copy the MBR? If so
>could that by itself be used to clone a disk?

As long as you use dd to copy the disk and not a partition - however
the destination device ought to be a disk with the same geometry/size. I
guess it could be larger, but then you'll lose space on the new disk.

dd will stop at bad blocks though, however dd_rescue to the, er, rescue..

Gordon
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> As long as you use dd to copy the disk and not a partition - however
> the destination device ought to be a disk with the same
> geometry/size. I guess it could be larger, but then you'll lose space
> on the new disk.

Sure but once it's copied across one could quickly run Gparted and very
quickly resize the partition to encompass all the free space.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <7d-dneq3PYg8mbnUnZ2dnUVZ8rOdnZ2d(a)pipex.net>,
Sheridan Hutchinson <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> As long as you use dd to copy the disk and not a partition - however
>> the destination device ought to be a disk with the same
>> geometry/size. I guess it could be larger, but then you'll lose space
>> on the new disk.
>
>Sure but once it's copied across one could quickly run Gparted and very
>quickly resize the partition to encompass all the free space.

Then use the filesystem utilities to re-size the filesystem in that
partition...

Personally, I don't trust them. Yet.

If I were copying data to a bigger disk (which I do from time to time),
then I use cpio or rsync, but I've sort of lost track of this thread -
wasn't it about recovering data?

Anyay, cpio

partiton, mkfs, etc.the new drive. Mount it under (eg) /mnt

cd /old/partition
find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt

done. And usually a lot faster than dd if the disk is less than about
half full.

Gordon
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Then use the filesystem utilities to re-size the filesystem in that
> partition...
>
> Personally, I don't trust them. Yet.

The beauty of Gparted is that it will take care of all this for you,
partition table as well as the file system.

I have seen Gparted have trouble with NTFS partitions created under
Windows Vista, however as long as you've got backups then it's less of
an issue.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson

From: Folderol on
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:47:10 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:

> In article <7d-dneq3PYg8mbnUnZ2dnUVZ8rOdnZ2d(a)pipex.net>,
> Sheridan Hutchinson <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >Gordon Henderson wrote:
> >> As long as you use dd to copy the disk and not a partition - however
> >> the destination device ought to be a disk with the same
> >> geometry/size. I guess it could be larger, but then you'll lose space
> >> on the new disk.
> >
> >Sure but once it's copied across one could quickly run Gparted and very
> >quickly resize the partition to encompass all the free space.
>
> Then use the filesystem utilities to re-size the filesystem in that
> partition...
>
> Personally, I don't trust them. Yet.
>
> If I were copying data to a bigger disk (which I do from time to time),
> then I use cpio or rsync, but I've sort of lost track of this thread -
> wasn't it about recovering data?
>
> Anyay, cpio
>
> partiton, mkfs, etc.the new drive. Mount it under (eg) /mnt
>
> cd /old/partition
> find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt
>
> done. And usually a lot faster than dd if the disk is less than about
> half full.
>
> Gordon

Thanks people (and sorry for dragging it offtopic slightly).

dd is the answer for me then, it's only a 10G disk being copied, and I
always prefer the simplest answers :)

--
Will J G