From: T i m on
Hi all,

Is there a (ideally free) util that would work like Ghost to allow me
to clone one drive onto another from a Live CD of some sort please?

Or if I would have to install it, something that would run under
Ubuntu (8.1)?

Cheers, T i m
From: chris on
T i m wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a (ideally free) util that would work like Ghost to allow me
> to clone one drive onto another from a Live CD of some sort please?

Try partimage which is included on the System Rescue LiveCD:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

It's very basic in appearance, but works well IME. After you've cloned
your partition, you may need to edit your /etc/fstab and
/boot/grub/menu.1st files if the partitioning scheme is different in
your destination drive from the source drive.

And yes, it's free (of course).
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-18, chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Try partimage which is included on the System Rescue LiveCD:
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Isn't partimage also available under some of the other live CDs like
Ubuntu? I think it was under Knoppix.

Clonezilla is also supposed to be good, based on partimage.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Martin Liddle on
In message <4f45i4piv5k27hkijeocso2lmmtmc783mr(a)4ax.com>, T i m
<news(a)spaced.me.uk> writes

Clonezilla perhaps, see <http://clonezilla.org/>.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 3 Kentmere Way,
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3TW.
From: Nick Leverton on
In article <4f45i4piv5k27hkijeocso2lmmtmc783mr(a)4ax.com>,
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is there a (ideally free) util that would work like Ghost to allow me
>to clone one drive onto another from a Live CD of some sort please?

I'm using ping, Partimage Is Not Ghost - http://ping.windowsdream.com/
to backup and clone disks. Not the most polished front end but seems
to work well for the small number of configs I've used it in so far.

I'm not sure how well it copes with LVM mind you, the support forums are
full of homebrew scripts to cater for LVM. I found that to restore a
non-LVM disk onto one which had had LVM, I needed to run the util twice
as it didn't correctly remove the LVM PV's. As far as I could work out
the problem, the first clone overwrote the partition table but appeared
to believe the devices were in use, until I rebooted the live CD when
the second clone restored the data to the now non-LVM target disk !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 19th September 2008)