From: J. Clarke on
On 5/3/2010 10:03 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 May 2010 03:51:34 -0700 (PDT), PP <omytion(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I've got a GF1, a 40D and a 5D mkII. I find using the LCD on the Lumix
>>> to be the biggest psychological obstacle for me in getting good shots
>>> (my definition, I'd accept that decent photogs thought I sucked
>>> anyway :)
>>>
>>> I just find it hard to get a connection with people when my eye isn't
>>> jammed in a viewfinder.
>>

>> If you didn't have a camera with a viewfinder, and used only cameras
>> with rear LCD screens, you would quickly learn to get good results
>> with it. It's only a struggle because you are used to reflex viewing.
>
> Yabbut you'd develop those zombie arms- you know, the folks walking
> around with their arms fully extended with the compact at bay.....
>
> But you'd still get the shutter lag.

What you'd quickly learn is what its limitations are and to what extent
you can work around them. That doesn't make those limitations go away,
it just means that you do the best you can with what you have.

From: Bruce on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 10:53:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>On 5/3/2010 10:03 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> If you didn't have a camera with a viewfinder, and used only cameras
>>> with rear LCD screens, you would quickly learn to get good results
>>> with it. It's only a struggle because you are used to reflex viewing.
>>
>> Yabbut you'd develop those zombie arms- you know, the folks walking
>> around with their arms fully extended with the compact at bay.....
>>
>> But you'd still get the shutter lag.
>
>What you'd quickly learn is what its limitations are and to what extent
>you can work around them. That doesn't make those limitations go away,
>it just means that you do the best you can with what you have.

That's exactly my point. You do the best you can with the equipment
you have. Alternatively, you could moan and whine because you don't
have those DSLR features that are now considered so "vital" that you
can't possibly get a good shot without them ...

The criticism of rear mounted LCDs makes me smile, because Live View
is a near-essential feature that every DSLR manufacturer wants to
offer its customers.