From: RichA on
I'd suggest the former. Why? Because using a large camera is a
commitment, force of will is needed for some people and it usually
translates into more carefully considered images. P&S's and the new
mirrorless things seem to encourage people to take a more
lackadaisical attitude towards photography. Case in point;
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35127470

From: R. Mark Clayton on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd suggest the former. Why? Because using a large camera is a
> commitment, force of will is needed for some people and it usually
> translates into more carefully considered images. P&S's and the new
> mirrorless things seem to encourage people to take a more
> lackadaisical attitude towards photography. Case in point;
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35127470

Nah - it means Joe Public can do what the pro's have always done - shoot
loads of images and pick out the best ones later. With film this is
expensive for amateurs and meant carrying loads of film. Now you can carry
thousands of images on something the size of your little fingernail.

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:35:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'd suggest the former. Why? Because using a large camera is a
>commitment, force of will is needed for some people and it usually
>translates into more carefully considered images. P&S's and the new
>mirrorless things seem to encourage people to take a more
>lackadaisical attitude towards photography. Case in point;
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35127470

No, I would say the P&S *allow* people to put just as much effort into
taking photographs as they choose to. And that's not a bad thing.

There's no reason to think that everyone should have the same
requirements for their photographic output that some of us do. If
they don't care that the snapshots are badly composed or fuzzy, that's
their business.

I was out taking some candids with my dslr in a downtown park this
afternoon and saw three young people passing around their small P&S
and taking pictures of each other. I volunteered to take a photo of
all three of them together with their camera.

I had them face a different direction to take advantage of the light
and move away from a large utility box behind them. My shots of them
were better composed than their shots of each other. However, I
suspect they will be just as pleased with their shots as they will be
with mine.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-23 18:54:40 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:35:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest the former. Why? Because using a large camera is a
>> commitment, force of will is needed for some people and it usually
>> translates into more carefully considered images. P&S's and the new
>> mirrorless things seem to encourage people to take a more
>> lackadaisical attitude towards photography. Case in point;
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35127470
>
> No, I would say the P&S *allow* people to put just as much effort into
> taking photographs as they choose to. And that's not a bad thing.
>
> There's no reason to think that everyone should have the same
> requirements for their photographic output that some of us do. If
> they don't care that the snapshots are badly composed or fuzzy, that's
> their business.
>
> I was out taking some candids with my dslr in a downtown park this
> afternoon and saw three young people passing around their small P&S
> and taking pictures of each other. I volunteered to take a photo of
> all three of them together with their camera.
>
> I had them face a different direction to take advantage of the light
> and move away from a large utility box behind them. My shots of them
> were better composed than their shots of each other. However, I
> suspect they will be just as pleased with their shots as they will be
> with mine.

So you got your three SI Facescape shots today.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:00:05 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-04-23 18:54:40 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:35:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd suggest the former. Why? Because using a large camera is a
>>> commitment, force of will is needed for some people and it usually
>>> translates into more carefully considered images. P&S's and the new
>>> mirrorless things seem to encourage people to take a more
>>> lackadaisical attitude towards photography. Case in point;
>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35127470
>>
>> No, I would say the P&S *allow* people to put just as much effort into
>> taking photographs as they choose to. And that's not a bad thing.
>>
>> There's no reason to think that everyone should have the same
>> requirements for their photographic output that some of us do. If
>> they don't care that the snapshots are badly composed or fuzzy, that's
>> their business.
>>
>> I was out taking some candids with my dslr in a downtown park this
>> afternoon and saw three young people passing around their small P&S
>> and taking pictures of each other. I volunteered to take a photo of
>> all three of them together with their camera.
>>
>> I had them face a different direction to take advantage of the light
>> and move away from a large utility box behind them. My shots of them
>> were better composed than their shots of each other. However, I
>> suspect they will be just as pleased with their shots as they will be
>> with mine.
>
>So you got your three SI Facescape shots today.

You didn't notice that I said I used their camera? I admit that it's
an ambiguously worded sentence that would be criticized in the English
Usage newsgroups I hang out in. It could mean that I took a picture
of the three of them and their camera, but it was meant to mean that I
used their camera to take a picture of the three of them.

I prolly should have taken a photo of them with my camera for S-I, but
they were too young for me to feel comfortable doing so.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida