From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 18, 4:55 pm, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/18/2010 1:33 PM, nob...(a)nowhere.com wrote:

> >> Mint, as it is now, doesn't do *anything* except track your account
> >> balances, and display the results in graphs etc.
>
> >> You don't pay bills with it, or otherwise manage your money with it. You
> >> just get to look at it all in one place.
>
> > So not very useful to anyone who needs hard records over a period of
> > years.
>
> tmp is saying that you can't pay bills, transfer funds, etc.
>
> It keeps records, but that's all.

Don't forget, MINT is still MINT at this point. It is going to be
interesting when then first MINT/Quicken Online is presented for beta
testing. It HAS to be better than the old QOL. I think the original
idea behind MINT was kind of a facebook financial site. They also
pride themselves on the fact that you can't log into your accounts
from MINT as a security feature. Personally, I think that is a good
thing.
From: Notan on
On 2/19/2010 4:59 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 18, 4:55 pm, Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> So not very useful to anyone who needs hard records over a period of
>>> years.
>>
>> tmp is saying that you can't pay bills, transfer funds, etc.
>>
>> It keeps records, but that's all.
>
> Don't forget, MINT is still MINT at this point. It is going to be
> interesting when then first MINT/Quicken Online is presented for beta
> testing. It HAS to be better than the old QOL. I think the original
> idea behind MINT was kind of a facebook financial site. They also
> pride themselves on the fact that you can't log into your accounts
> from MINT as a security feature. Personally, I think that is a good
> thing.

What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"

Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 19, 9:59 am, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/19/2010 4:59 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> tmp is saying that you can't pay bills, transfer funds, etc.
>
> >> It keeps records, but that's all.
>
> > Don't forget, MINT is still MINT at this point.  It is going to be
> > interesting when then first MINT/Quicken Online is presented for beta
> > testing.  It HAS to be better than the old QOL.  I think the original
> > idea behind MINT was kind of a facebook financial site. They also
> > pride themselves on the fact that you can't log into your accounts
> > from MINT as a security feature. Personally, I think that is a good
> > thing.
>
> What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"
>
> Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?

Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
to get to your bank and send money.

Hence, Mint is only a read only service.
From: Notan on
On 2/20/2010 4:04 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 19, 9:59 am, Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> Don't forget, MINT is still MINT at this point. It is going to be
>>> interesting when then first MINT/Quicken Online is presented for beta
>>> testing. It HAS to be better than the old QOL. I think the original
>>> idea behind MINT was kind of a facebook financial site. They also
>>> pride themselves on the fact that you can't log into your accounts
>>> from MINT as a security feature. Personally, I think that is a good
>>> thing.
>>
>> What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"
>>
>> Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?
>
> Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
> they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
> can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
> account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
> password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
> the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
> to get to your bank and send money.
>
> Hence, Mint is only a read only service.

But, take that same information directly to the FI website and all kinds
of havoc can be wreaked.

--

Notan
From: Edward on
Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 19, 9:59 am, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> Don't forget, MINT is still MINT at this point. It is going to be
>>> interesting when then first MINT/Quicken Online is presented for beta
>>> testing. It HAS to be better than the old QOL. I think the original
>>> idea behind MINT was kind of a facebook financial site. They also
>>> pride themselves on the fact that you can't log into your accounts
>>> from MINT as a security feature. Personally, I think that is a good
>>> thing.
>> What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"
>>
>> Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?
>
> Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
> they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
> can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
> account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
> password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
> the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
> to get to your bank and send money.
>
> Hence, Mint is only a read only service.

If Mint can access my account, I don't understand why someone who hacks
into Mint would not be able to access my account.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Quicken files
Next: Page Scaling