From: Notan on
On 2/21/2010 4:53 AM, Edward wrote:
> Mr.Jan wrote:

>>> What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"
>>>
>>> Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?
>>
>> Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
>> they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
>> can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
>> account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
>> password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
>> the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
>> to get to your bank and send money.
>>
>> Hence, Mint is only a read only service.
>
> If Mint can access my account, I don't understand why someone who hacks
> into Mint would not be able to access my account.

EXACTLY!!!
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 21, 9:03 am, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/21/2010 4:53 AM, Edward wrote:
>

> > Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
> >> they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
> >> can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
> >> account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
> >> password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
> >> the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
> >> to get to your bank and send money.
>
> >> Hence, Mint is only a read only service.
>
> > If Mint can access my account, I don't understand why someone who hacks
> > into Mint would not be able to access my account.
>
> EXACTLY!!!

LOL Yes, if Mint can access your account and someone can get through
enough layers of encryption and security, they too could access your
account. It would be far easier for them to hack into your bank
directly, however. Breaking an encrypted system is not like reading
an email in plain text. I am sure there are system administrators at
Mint who could log in and read your login and password. If I was
going to try to get into your account, I can think of a couple of
interesting ways to get your password or get your password reset to
something I know rather than try all the techie, hacking approaches.
Most hackers are like the kid that goes up to every door in an
apartment house and checks to see if it's locked. If he gets in, he is
NOT a master criminal.

I use MINT because I can see my daily transactions for all my accounts
at once. I am searching for the unusual or unauthorized transaction
and Mint makes it easy to track all my accounts at one place. This is
like my house alarm. Yes, the alarm company knows when I am not at
home and knows how to get past the alarm but the security they provide
far offsets the risk they pose. The same with Mint.
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 20, 6:08 pm, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 4:04 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> What do you mean "you can't log into your accounts?"
>
> >> Of course you can. How do you think Mint accesses your FIs' records?
>
> > Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
> > they are called a consolidator) .  If you have a Yodlee account, you
> > can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
> > account.  Mint.com does not allow that.  So if someone does get your
> > password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
> > the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
> > to get to your bank and send money.
>
> > Hence, Mint is only a read only service.
>
> But, take that same information directly to the FI website and all kinds
> of havoc can be wreaked.
>
> --
>
> Notan

Take my bank name and the amount of money I have in it and what are
you going to do with it? How can you wreak havoc with that? You don't
have my name, the account number, the login, the password..... Kind of
like finding the printout of an Excel spreadsheet with bank names and
dollars next to it. What can you do with that?
From: Notan on
On 2/21/2010 8:04 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:08 pm, Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> Well, Mint goes to your account and extracts a report (that is why
>>> they are called a consolidator) . If you have a Yodlee account, you
>>> can click "Login to my account" and it will take you to the FI
>>> account. Mint.com does not allow that. So if someone does get your
>>> password and login ID, they only get to see which FIs you deal with,
>>> the balances, and the transactions. They can't use Mint as a doorway
>>> to get to your bank and send money.
>>
>>> Hence, Mint is only a read only service.
>>
>> But, take that same information directly to the FI website and all kinds
>> of havoc can be wreaked.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Notan
>
> Take my bank name and the amount of money I have in it and what are
> you going to do with it? How can you wreak havoc with that? You don't
> have my name, the account number, the login, the password..... Kind of
> like finding the printout of an Excel spreadsheet with bank names and
> dollars next to it. What can you do with that?

We're not talking "bank name and the amount of money," we're talking
logon information (i.e. logon name and password).
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 21, 10:09 am, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/21/2010 8:04 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> But, take that same information directly to the FI website and all kinds
> >> of havoc can be wreaked.
>
> >> --
>
> >> Notan
>
> > Take my  bank name and the amount of money I have in it and what are
> > you going to do with it?  How can you wreak havoc with that? You don't
> > have my name, the account number, the login, the password..... Kind of
> > like finding the printout of an Excel spreadsheet with bank names and
> > dollars next to it. What can you do with that?
>
> We're not talking "bank name and the amount of money," we're talking
> logon information (i.e. logon name and password).

The login information is encrypted. There are two ways to get in. The
regular "hacker" who somehow gets your login information to the Mint
site. This is your biggest risk. He/she can't do anything with the
information because he can't login to your FI from Mint, he does not
know your account number, he does not know your login information for
the FI.

You are concerned that some super hacker is going to override the
Mint.com security, crack the encryption, harvest your information, and
THEN log into your bank accounts. I find that to be a pretty obscure
threat and it should be one of the reasons you monitor for
unauthorized activity on your account at all times.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Quicken files
Next: Page Scaling