From: Dudley Hanks on

"Ted Banks" <email(a)email.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:00:55 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>

>>If that were true, why is it that my "Traffic Check" shots of Mich always
>>have Mich in the same framed location? If my shots truly were random,
>>he'd
>>be all over the place, I'd even be missing him completely more than I'd
>>actually have the smallest corner of his ear in the shot.
>
> WOW! What a challenge! I had NO idea you were this gifted to know where
> your right and left hands are at the very same time!
>
> AMAZING!!
>
> <insert appropriate eye-roll that's used when trying to explain something
> to bona fide lunatics>

But, you are not smart enough to realize that those hand positions cannot be
considered as producing anything other than a "random" shot?

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Ted Banks on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:29:21 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
<dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

>Here's a better idea:
>
>If you're so darn sure I shoot randomly, perhaps we can arrange a demo where
>I've got a Gloc and you can run around yelling insults at me. I bet I could
>shut you up in less than 20 shots...

Why 20? Why not 1? What's the matter? You have to shoot a gun randomly too?
Just put your "gun" on continuous-frame mode so you'll have better luck!

Why don't you just get an HD video camera and about 500 32GB SD cards for
it. Then you can leave it on all the time and have others sort through the
thousands and thousands of "photos" to find one that proves to everyone
else that even a blind person can be a photographer, and what a fantastic
photographer you are!

You waste everyone's time by using your handicap to manipulate them. Just
as you are trying to do with me. Choose an activity that doesn't require
everyone else doing it for you. THAT is your challenge.

From: Dudley Hanks on

> On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:29:21 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>

>>Here's a better idea:
>>
>>If you're so darn sure I shoot randomly, perhaps we can arrange a demo
>>where
>>I've got a Gloc and you can run around yelling insults at me. I bet I
>>could
>>shut you up in less than 20 shots...
>
> Why 20? Why not 1? What's the matter? You have to shoot a gun randomly
> too?
> Just put your "gun" on continuous-frame mode so you'll have better luck!
>
> Why don't you just get an HD video camera and about 500 32GB SD cards for
> it. Then you can leave it on all the time and have others sort through the
> thousands and thousands of "photos" to find one that proves to everyone
> else that even a blind person can be a photographer, and what a fantastic
> photographer you are!
>
> You waste everyone's time by using your handicap to manipulate them. Just
> as you are trying to do with me. Choose an activity that doesn't require
> everyone else doing it for you. THAT is your challenge.

Does that mean you accept the challenge?

I'll use single shot mode...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Vance on
On May 4, 12:05 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> "Vance" <vance.l...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 3, 5:31 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
> >http://www.nothingnotpossible.com/cgi-bin/NotPossible/UnderConstruction
>
> > Take Care,
> > Dudley
>
> Not really, at least to my eye.  It's not the cropping down of the sky
> area, but something else that makes it a little ungainly.  Perhaps,
> keeping the sky reducing crop, crop in from image left a bit.  Just by
> eye, maybe 3/4 of the length in along the lighter striped fabric of
> the harness.  That would put the emphasis properly on MIch by making
> him a larger part of the composition in terms of visual mass (his size
> and color as a percentage of the total image) and still leave the car
> as an important element.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Regards,
> Vance
>
> Thanks, Vance, for the feedback.
>
> I've made a couple of crops as near as I can come to your directions, but
> I'm not sure if I've placed the left border at the spot you've recommended.
>
> In the first one, I left the sky as is and just took off the left side.  In
> the second, I also took off the sky similar to the first crop I made.
>
> Just wondering if either looks better.
>
> Thanks,
> Dudley

Some. It's hard to describe something visually in words sometimes, so
I edited you image for the type of crop I mentioned. With one crop,
it is an image of Mich Working. With another, it's an image of Mich
at work. The difference is how much of the emphasis is on Mich. I
tried for a compromise with Mich star of the show, but not the whole
show.

I took down the sky about 3/4 stop, which I don't know if you can do
with your software, but, even adding detail from the clouds, it tends
to move the viewers eyes down toward Mich and the car. It's not
significant and certainly not something you asked about.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dcl3H72R0ceoFkzwGb4oaA?feat=directlink

Vance
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Vance" <vance.lear(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 4, 12:05 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> "Vance" <vance.l...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 3, 5:31 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
> >http://www.nothingnotpossible.com/cgi-bin/NotPossible/UnderConstruction
>
> > Take Care,
> > Dudley
>
> Not really, at least to my eye. It's not the cropping down of the sky
> area, but something else that makes it a little ungainly. Perhaps,
> keeping the sky reducing crop, crop in from image left a bit. Just by
> eye, maybe 3/4 of the length in along the lighter striped fabric of
> the harness. That would put the emphasis properly on MIch by making
> him a larger part of the composition in terms of visual mass (his size
> and color as a percentage of the total image) and still leave the car
> as an important element.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Regards,
> Vance
>
> Thanks, Vance, for the feedback.
>
> I've made a couple of crops as near as I can come to your directions, but
> I'm not sure if I've placed the left border at the spot you've
> recommended.
>
> In the first one, I left the sky as is and just took off the left side. In
> the second, I also took off the sky similar to the first crop I made.
>
> Just wondering if either looks better.
>
> Thanks,
> Dudley

Some. It's hard to describe something visually in words sometimes, so
I edited you image for the type of crop I mentioned. With one crop,
it is an image of Mich Working. With another, it's an image of Mich
at work. The difference is how much of the emphasis is on Mich. I
tried for a compromise with Mich star of the show, but not the whole
show.

I took down the sky about 3/4 stop, which I don't know if you can do
with your software, but, even adding detail from the clouds, it tends
to move the viewers eyes down toward Mich and the car. It's not
significant and certainly not something you asked about.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dcl3H72R0ceoFkzwGb4oaA?feat=directlink

Vance

It isn't something I can, at present, accomplish. I'm pretty much limited
to resizing, sharpening, playing with the brightness of the image as a
whole, and cropping. And, I've just been able to start cropping recently
because of the way IrfanView enables placing the crop lines via data input.

As I explore IrfanView in more detail, I'm sure I'll figure out other things
I can do with the software...

While I didn't ask for that bit of info, I'm glad you pointed it out, as it
tells me something about how my camera rendered the scene I was shooting.

Street shooting is an area I'm very much interested in, and finding a way to
incorporate the sky more pleasantly into a shot is something I've been
thinking about, but haven't gotten around to tackling, as I'm still working
on getting my subject where I envision it, in just the right relationship to
the background -- without limiting myself to a single lens or two which I
get to know intimately.

If you follow my work, I think you'll notice that I deal extensively with
relationships, as opposed to subjects. As is the case with Jeff Wall, my
subjects don't always look at the camera, maybe going so far as to say they
seldom look at the camera, but I always want to capture the dynamics of
their relationship with their environment.

What you told me will work itself into future pics, I'm sure...

Take Care,
Dudley

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6