From: Peter on
"Rich" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 21, 7:24 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Heslop
> <paul.hes...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:
>
> >it's for Japan only, which means they believe that Japanese people
> >will buy anything :O)
>
> The Japanese market is full of stuff like that. Blinged-up gear that has
> a short life, then is yesterday's fashion accessory. If Pentax see a
> profitable way of shifting their cameras in their home market, best of
> luck to them.

Their taste is like their taste in cars. Undergunned, with cheezy,
non-functional wings and scoops, covered with stickers that mean
nothing, etc.

Which Japanese cars have you driven?
Tell me exactly what's wrong from personal experience.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Rich wrote:
>>
>> On May 21, 7:24 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> > drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Heslop
>> > <paul.hes...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:

>> > The Japanese market is full of stuff like that. Blinged-up gear that
>> > has
>> > a short life, then is yesterday's fashion accessory. If Pentax see a
>> > profitable way of shifting their cameras in their home market, best of
>> > luck to them.
>>
>> Their taste is like their taste in cars. Undergunned, with cheezy,
>> non-functional wings and scoops, covered with stickers that mean
>> nothing, etc.
>
> Top Gear basically said the japanese can only design cars based on
> ones which already exist, otherwise they come up with some ugly thing
> which looks like a committee produced it. I don't know how that stands
> nowadays but it always struck me when i was younger that their cars
> were cheaper versions of something already out there.

Years ago they were pretty grubby. Now, half of our family cars are
Japanese.
One of my daughters has a Honda with over 150,000 miles on it and no major
issues. My wife has a Lexus that is a pleasure to drive. On my last trip I
rented a Prius and will give it serious consideration for my next car.
(Hopefully my current Mercury will last for a few more years.)

--
Peter

From: Paul Heslop on
Peter wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Rich wrote:

> >> Their taste is like their taste in cars. Undergunned, with cheezy,
> >> non-functional wings and scoops, covered with stickers that mean
> >> nothing, etc.
> >
> > Top Gear basically said the japanese can only design cars based on
> > ones which already exist, otherwise they come up with some ugly thing
> > which looks like a committee produced it. I don't know how that stands
> > nowadays but it always struck me when i was younger that their cars
> > were cheaper versions of something already out there.
>
> Years ago they were pretty grubby. Now, half of our family cars are
> Japanese.
> One of my daughters has a Honda with over 150,000 miles on it and no major
> issues. My wife has a Lexus that is a pleasure to drive. On my last trip I
> rented a Prius and will give it serious consideration for my next car.
> (Hopefully my current Mercury will last for a few more years.)
>
> --
> Peter

In the UK there's no problem with imports and most of the cars are
built here anyway.
back in the 60s etc most people equated japanese with cheap and I seem
to recall their being an import limit or something. now our home cars
makers are all but gone and we build or use mainly foreign cars. Ford
UK and Vauxhall are the only large UK makers left. and I think they're
both american :O)

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Bowser on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 16:57:47 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:32:51 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_unveils_rainbow_DSLR_camera_news_297856.html
>>
>> If I had that cam when I shot these pics, nobody would have noticed:
>>
>> http://www.manzi.org/carnival/
>

>In P town few notice or care about anything.
>Last year we had lunch in the Lobster Pot. the meal was OK but the place is
>highly overrated. As a corollary it was also overpriced for what they gave
>us. the service was mediocore.

Yup, it's a tourist trap. For great bugs head down to Wellfleet where
the food is better, it's less flambouyant, and the service is much
better. In fact, all of Provincetown is a tourist trap now.
From: Peter on
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 16:57:47 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message

>>> If I had that cam when I shot these pics, nobody would have noticed:
>>>
>>> http://www.manzi.org/carnival/
>>

>>In P town few notice or care about anything.
>>Last year we had lunch in the Lobster Pot. the meal was OK but the place
>>is
>>highly overrated. As a corollary it was also overpriced for what they gave
>>us. the service was mediocore.
>
> Yup, it's a tourist trap. For great bugs head down to Wellfleet where
> the food is better, it's less flambouyant, and the service is much
> better. In fact, all of Provincetown is a tourist trap now.

Thanks, made a note but our next rip will probably be to Acadia. We are also
gong to Amherst for the NECCC in July. After that several Tanglewood
weekends. So the Cape is not in our current plans

--
Peter