From: Frustrated in Texas on
I have been trying to download Authorware Web Player on my Windows Vista for
the past several hours with no success. Since I bought my computer, I have had
nothing but problems with Vista and downloading programs onto it. I also have
had compatibility problems with it and the printer I've had for the past 2
years that worked just fine before I got Vista. Can anyone explain to me how
to download Authorware Web Player on Vista so I can complete this ONE online
course that will only take an hour at the most? Please put it in simple terms
because I'm definitely not an expert on computers....far from it actually.

Thank you so much,
Very frustrated with Vista!

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
Try running IE7 with protected mode turned off. One of the things that
protected mode does is disable the ability to run an exe from a control in
the browser and that prevents the content from running even if the player is
installed.

HTH,
Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker at cox dot net

From: Frustrated in Texas on
That got me a little bit closer. Thank you. But now I'm getting a bunch of boxes popping up that say: "Error reading segment file. File on server is missing or has wrong length."
From: Erik L. **Community Expert** on
That would be up to the lesson provider to fix (it's a content issue,
not a player issue, most likely). Contact the provider of the course
you're trying to take, let them know exactly what the error says (as you
have here) and they'll hopefully be able to fix it.
Erik

--
Erik Lord
http://www.capemedia.net
From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
Is this a public site that I could try out or is it private? Is it in use by
others that have no problems with it?
It could be exactly what it says it is. The files are missing from the
server or there was an update that somehow didn't get posted correctly.
Another possibility is that something is preventing the file from being
written on your machine. The Authorware plugin compares the size of the file
downloaded with the size listed in the map file to see if it was retrieved
correctly. If the size doesn't match or the file doesn't exist then it shows
that error.
What type of security policies are in place where you are? Is this your
machine or a company machine? The files should be written to your documents
folder. On my test environment it appears in
Mike > AppData > Roaming > Macromedia > Authorware Web Player
That's the root folder and all the files are written in subfolders below
this point. Can you browse your files to see if you have this? If you can't
find it there then can you search your whole drive for a folder called
WebPlr.exe?

Mike
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert