From: troisieme on
:disgust;

I have converted a raft of files from AW 5.2 to 6.5 and loaded them onto a T61
running Vista. A. I cannot see the files in Windows Explorer, unless I click on
View Compatibility Files, and when I do that I cannot see the files I saw
before!@!!! B, When I try to publish the files I get nasty messages about
security (even when I turn off user control), and when I click on the yellow
bar to allow the blocked content I get error messages about invalid files,
apparently the XTRAs files called for in the piece. Heeeelp! Please. This
software seems to be totally wrecked on Vista.

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
First... calm down! ;-)

You seem to be trying to resolve a number of things at the same time. That's
not a bad thing, it happens all the time. However you need to be able to
isolate things and resolve them one by one.. divide and conquer.
From your email I understand that your thinkpad is running Vista with IE7.
Plenty of people are using Vista with IE7 and running Authorware content so
we should be able to resolve this. So far you're the first who has mentioned
"View Compatibility Files" so that's probably not the answer you're looking
for.
What "Nasty messages" are you talking about? The actual message usually
helps in this case. That yellow bar appears with all activeX control content
so that's not Authorware specific. May I assume that when you refer to
messages about invalid files that you have actually checked the files to
make sure that they are where they're supposed to be? That they are the
right size and location?

Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker at cox dot net

From: Steve Howard **Community Expert** - eLearning + Mobile and Devices on

> I have converted a raft of files from AW 5.2 to 6.5 and loaded them onto a
> T61
> running Vista. A. I cannot see the files in Windows Explorer, unless I
> click on
> View Compatibility Files, and when I do that I cannot see the files I saw
> before!@!!! B, When I try to publish the files I get nasty messages about
> security (even when I turn off user control), and when I click on the
> yellow
> bar to allow the blocked content I get error messages about invalid files,
> apparently the XTRAs files called for in the piece. Heeeelp! Please. This
> software seems to be totally wrecked on Vista.

Just to reiterate Mike's comments - I've been using Authorware on Vista for
years - since beta days. There's a couple of hurdles to pop through, but
once you get them sorted, Authorware works just fine.

So take a deep breath, and let's attack this step by step. Please take a
moment to clarify your comments above - you've used 'nearly' names and vague
references for many of your issues, and we are anally retentive detail folk
:-)

Steve

http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
European eLearning Summit - EeLS
Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
http://www.elearningsummit.eu

From: troisieme on
Thanks for your good advice. I am now running AW6.5 under vista and I have put
up some files on the web that play well on both XP and Vista. However, there is
one type of piece that plays on XP but does not play on my T61 which uses
Vista. These pieces play QuickTime movies and they are extremely simple,
consisting only of one QuickTime icon that plays one Quick Time movie. On XP I
run these from other pieces using the JumpFileReturn command and they play
fine. I can also run them just by double clicking on the aam file. However, on
my T61, the movie frame does not appear, and all I get is the movie controller
bar. There is no error message. I checked in the Temporary files folder, and
the movie is there, along with the aam file and the aas file. Any clue about
what is causing this?

From: gantek on
Does the Quicktime file play directly in the Quicktime Player on your Vista
machine if you double-click it? If not, the Quicktime installation on your
Vista machine may be missing a codec.

Steve Gannon
GanTek Multimedia