From: troisieme on
Thanks for your suggestion about QT codecs. I re-intstalled QuickTime 7.5 and
tried double clicking on one of the QT files. It came up in the QT player fine.

These AW6.5 files that I created under XP on my T43p play fine on the T43p,
whether I am running authorware files, the runtime files, or the web published
files. For the latter, they work both from the Web folder and from a remote
site.

However, they do not run on my Vista machine. Instead the only thing that
shows up is the controller bar and the File..Quit command in the upper left
corner.

I can locate the QT files using the browser function in authorware and load
them. After doing that I can run the publish command. The runtime file works,
but the web files do not work. In this case I do not even get the module with
the controller bar. Instead I get an error message "Error reading the
authorware web player file. Invalid file version file//C:\Program
Files\Macromedia\Authorware 6.5\VG AW6.5Files\Published Files\Web\aminac.mov"
The web page displays a little red bar that says loading error.

From: deuxieme on
I also find that the publish command does not succeed even when I try to
publish a piece that does not run a Quick Time movie. The symptom is the same
as in my previous message, I get an invalid file message and loading error
message on the htm file display.

Every time I run the publish command and then select preview I get a yellow
bar at the top of the window and a warning about Active X controls. When I
click on the yellow bar and click on allow blocked content, then I get the
authorware security window which I click OK. It is then that the error message
appears and I see the loading error message on the web page.

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
There is a way that you can have the web player output a trace file. You
should be able to find the procedure by searching for shktrace.on in these
archives or google.
The description here has no details and I can't see your previous entry in
this thread. Since you're using preview it could be the fact that the
content is coming from a local drive that's causing the problem. Go ahead
with the normal publishing to web procedures, clear your cache, and try it
from the website.

HTH,
Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker at cox dot net

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
Have you checked the web server for a .mov MIME type? Is it set to binary
transfer type?
I have seen the error you describe - file version on a file that should not
have a version. If you have the trace on and look at the log you'll see that
the file is being treated as if it is a map file. Seemed to happen to me
after several repeated test runs of the same file. Clearing the cache
usually corrects it.

HTH
Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker at cox dot net

From: deuxieme on
Thanks Mike for your suggestions. I published a test file to my remote web
site. On selecting the htm file the piece attempted to load. What was
displayed was the piece with the movie controller bar but no movie. In watching
this, I noticed that the progress bar for the movie was only about one third of
the way through when the piece appeared on screen with the controller bar but
no movie.

I looked for shktrace.on adobe.com but came up with zero results. This also
happened when I restricted the search to authorware. The referernces to trace
in the help pages that come with the authorware program are all to the control
panel features on the menu bar.

Just to review for you in case you could not see my earlier messages. I have
moved a large number of pieces, originally made in AW5.2, to Aw6.5. The web
pieces, placed on a remote site, run correctly on the machine where I did the
authoring, a T43P running XP. However the pieces that play QT movie files do
not run on my vista machine, a T61.